Just can't help it...

• 5 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Just can't help it...
« on: March 25, 2015, 18:34 »
I'm cycling these days to keep fit and when I hear chickeny sounds from various gardens I have to stop and see where they are coming from...
Last week I called out to someone in his garden and asked to visit - he didn't seem to mind.  He has everything feathery.  All manner of ducks - who fly off to mate and reappear with ducklings asking to be let in.   Lemon Sablepoots (he sells them POL), peacocks doing displays, geese etc...

I didn't used to be like this. :lol:
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Just can't help it...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:29 »
There's no hope for you now  :lol:

Sounds like a good place to find though.  Lemon sablepoots are very pretty.  I would be tempted  ;)  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 07:57 »
Sabelpoots are one of the friendliest birds I know, sadly I lost my last one 2 weeks ago. When in lay they will happily lay 5 eggs a week :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:04 »
sadly I lost my last one 2 weeks ago

That's a shame Joy  :(

I do know a breeder near me that has sablepoots and I have looked at them several times, but they are so tiny.  Did yours do OK with the bigger hens?  My serama girl held her own, but seramas are known for personalities that dwarf their little bodies :lol:

The breeder has a garden like needle's new acquaintance.  Chock full of pens and coops of lovely birdies to ooh and ahh over  :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 13:10 »
I worry about birds of prey - the gals have the entire garden and I can't cover it - so its Pekin or bigger for me. Sablepoots are soo pretty though!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 13:28 »
I get very few birds of prey here although a sparrow hawk did pay a visit a few weeks ago but never bothered my girls - it's eyes were on the sparrows and dunnocks in the hedge..
My last remaining sabelpoot was so tiny compared to my other hens but managed to scoot around them without too much trouble and she even put any newcomers in their places so they knew in future to leave her alone in the future.
They are chatty little birds and very comical to watch them hopping around as they cannot walk normally owing to their feathered feet.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.