Rotovating on grass?

• 7 Replies

MishMash

Rotovating on grass?
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:11 »
Sorry, but a quick question as I'm off to pick up a rotovator at lunch.

Can I rotovate over a turfed area? Is this correct way of doing things, or should I dig the turf up first?

I've just taken over a plot and am an absolute novice! Any rotovating tips appreciated!

Many thanks!

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
Re: Rotovating on grass?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:24 »
No reason why not, but you would get some regrowth of what you've buried. Some glyphos the area first (depends on your views), which would make easier work when rotorvating as the root systems are looser in the ground and not binding the soil. Horses for courses really.
Are the turfs pure grass?, you could roll them and leave free to good home or use them at home, if just weeds then just bury or weed kill the lot.

MishMash

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:36 »
"Are the turfs pure grass?"

Well it's a bit of everything really. I think it was a veg patch once that's gone over to grass, it's very uneven, with pits and holes in the ground. I don't think a roller could flatten it enough.

I was going to try and pull out most of the grass on my first run, the go over again where I've walked. I guess I'll see how I go! I've heard rotovating can still be hard work compared to digging, not sure I'll last long if that's the case!1  8)

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 20:22 »
Have a read of the Howard book of rotavating in the info section of this site.
always have a target
and an objective.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 15:37 »
Hoping to save myself some work, I tried rotovating a grass area. It didn't work out well. The tines can't dig in well in grass mass and you get more of a chopping effect. If you did repeated passes you'd eventually hit soil but you'd still need to pull out all the grass bits as they'd simply regrow. So it's better to save your engine by just slicing out the turf first. There are machines for hire that will do this.

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 18:47 »
I'd certainly spray with glyphosphate first. It's inert once it gets into the soil and not dangerous to man or beast. It will kill all weeds, although a second dose may be necessary. See what you have got when the vegetation dies down. If its really rough you'll have a job with a Merry Tiller or anything smaller. Worth borowing or hiring a bigger machine to break it up first and the use a normal rotovator. Getting all the weeds killed now, while they are still growing, will save loads of work in following years.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:00 »
We rotivated our lawn and now have a veg garden. You can see what we did in my diary

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57890.0

It saved us a lot of hard work :happy:

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 11:14 »
We use a McCulloch rotorvator, bit of a beastie and I have to tether the duvet sharer to a tree or I'd lose him, coz when that girl chews on soil, she's in there til Australia!!!! We glyphosphate first.I think you can still purchase it from agricultural merchants in 5L bottles but one heck of alot cheaper than buying "Roundup" (the laws and use for sprayers has recently changed), but might still get it under grandads licence. My last lot cost £15/5L whereas Roundup was £30/1L !!!!! Same stuff.

xx
Rotovating!!

Started by Robc on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 15:37
by Paul Plots
xx
Rotovating technique

Started by warmrain on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 12:47
by Paul Plots
xx
Whats the best technique for rotovating my plot

Started by bigfatb on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 15:18
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
First-time Rotovating grassy soil?

Started by DanielCoffey on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2018, 08:53
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.