Preparing for broody hatching her chicks... Advice please

• 4 Replies

moomintroll

Hi
My banty black rock is is sitting on clutch of 4 eggs. She is on day 17 today :-)

She is in her own coop with long ramp and enclosed run area. Is it ok to just leave her in the nest box, or should she be placed in box in coop? I'm hoping she will keep them warm enough when they hatch without using heat lamp (I haven't got one lol) Also should I do anything to the run which is covered for when they go outside

First time hatching and excited lol... thanks

Jo57

• Experienced Member
Re: Preparing for broody hatching her chicks... Advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 16:39 »
You won't need any extra heat. Mum takes care of that. She will also take them out when they are ready. Mine were 'upstairs' in the nest box and very quickly learnt to negotiate the ramp. Their instinct is to follow mum and she'll fuss round them like ....well like a mother hen :)  Chick crumb and water (in very shallow dish) available for when they need.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 21:02 »
Once they start to hatch I would close the door to the run so the chicks can't fall down or off the ramp.  Leave a shallow drinker and some chick crumb in the coop.  Make sure they have enough ventilation though.  After a few days Mum might take them out but just keep an eye on them at first.

Mum should be able to keep them warm enough especially only four but if she is a first time broody check she is covering them.  It is always best to have an emergency brooder ready just in case.  This can be made with a plastic storage tub and for heat an old style light bulb will work.  Do a bit of research online for details of how to do the set up.   ;)

Good luck with the hatch.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 22:41 »
It took my chicks a few days to learn how to use the ramp in my broody coop properly. A couple of times I found one hiding under it when the others had gone in because it had lost its way, and "mum" hadn't noticed. Just something to keep an eye out for.

moomintroll

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 15:49 »
Thanks all. I have got my chick crumb and water drinker etc ready. I will close door when they hatch, for a couple of days and allow extra ventilation. I am confident she is going to be a lovely mummy hen , I just hope they hatch! Thanks   :)

xx
hatching chicks under a broody???

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 08:18
by Sassy
xx
broody hens/hatching chicks off

Started by kizza on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2006, 21:58
by muntjac
xx
Advice needed on hatching with a broody hen please...

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 14:41
by Chuckiemum
xx
New to hatching chicks advice please

Started by Hensprirt on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 11:13
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 38 queries.