Climbing Roses question

• 2 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Climbing Roses question
« on: February 13, 2011, 09:12 »
I bought 3 climbing roses that were on offer at Homebase a few weeks ago. They are in pots. I haven't had chance to plant them yet.

My question is shall I plant them with the existing soil on them or shall I knock the soil off and have a look at the roots and cut of any that doesn't look healthy?

I bought 2 last year one of which took and the other died, so want to make sure I do the right thing. One of them will be going in the same place as the one that died.

They are going to be climbing up 2 pergolas I have.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Climbing Roses question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:51 »
Depending on how long ago they were potted, you might find a lot of the compost falls away from the roots anyway.  If they are rooted through the pot, I wouldn't pull the root ball apart.

Roses love rich, heavy soil so incorporate lots of well rotted manure or compost into the planting holes.  Finally, if they are pretty much bare root roses in a pot when you come to plant them, keep them well watered for their first season as they will have limited capacity to find their own water until the roots get going  :)

Babstreefern

Re: Climbing Roses question
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 20:10 »
Never cut roots from roses.  They will shortly be coming to life, so dig a hole big enough to plant the rootball without taking off any of the soil (you can really only plant bareroot in November/December).  Put plenty of bfb in with it, fill it in and then put a good couple of handfulls around the top, also some manure as well.

Roses favours clay soils - they love it.
Babs

xx
Climbing Roses

Started by Glen on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 23:20
by weeeed
xx
Climbing roses

Started by Henry on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2013, 13:05
by mumofstig
xx
Climbing Roses

Started by Henry on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 08:41
by fatcat1955
xx
Planting climbing roses

Started by Zippy on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 11, 2010, 16:54
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 36 queries.