what to sow now..please advise

• 6 Replies

babyblue

what to sow now..please advise
« on: May 26, 2010, 18:32 »
hi everyone,

i just inherited an allotment, at last! i'm new to all this fruit and veg growing. the patch i have needs some clearing away and sorting out, not wanting to miss out on any growing(!) i'm wondering what i can sow now in pots ready to plant out when he plot is sorted.

i'm sure there is loads of seeds i can sow but some helpful advice would be much appreciated!

i'm a very amateur gardener but i am very excited about my largish plot!

s.x

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: what to sow now..please advise
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 18:34 »
Welcome to the forums.

Check this page out for a month by month guide:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 19:58 »
Welcome to the site  :D

One vital tip is to make sure that the bits which still need clearing are covered up (don't use carpet) or strimmed to prevent the weeds getting on top of you.

Good luck and congrats on your new plot!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 06:22 »
Welcome babyblue, there isn't much you cannot start off now, most will try and catch up but might be a bit smaller. Your problem will be obtaining seed potatoes, onion sets etc. Just give it a try, this year will be a learning one and one to concentrate on getting the plot ready for next year.
Paul

Livinhope

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:00 »
As another moderate amateur allotment holder I have learned that there are a lot of things you can sow in pots even now and it will give you time to clear a bit more ground.  Lettuce, ridge/outdoor cucumbers, sweetcorn (worth a try), spring onions try half a dozen seeds to a module and plant out in their little bunch, courgettes/marrow, beetroot, beans broad runner and french they'll catch up, and you can still buy outdoor tomato plants and leeks.  Peas, I've got some that have just decided to appear.  Read the backs of the packets and most things you can get away with.  And the plot doesn't need to look like something out of a gardening magazine to be 'fruitful'.

Talk to the other allotment holders, they're a mine of information, don't try to do too much although it's very tempting, and the very best of luck.

paintedlady

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:36 »
Have you got a notice board or shop at the allotment - ask if you can put a notice up for any spare plants people don't want (I for one always sow far more than I need so that I can plant out the best and the rest are then offered to others on my site & gratefully received - I'm sure I'm not alone   ;))

Re: onion sets ... I was shocked last weekend to find Wilkos were still selling them although they looked like they were ready for the bargain basket.  Which reminds me, don't forget to plan for autumn cropping and overwintering stuff too - winter/spring cabbage can be sowed now or soonish (read the packet instructions), swede, kale and calabrese, and then later on in the year you can think about getting some overwintering Japanese onion sets eg Senshya, and garlic to be planted late September/October-ish (depends where you are located) as well as sow some broad beans  8)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 13:09 »
As paintedlady says it's good to prepare in advance for Autumn planting so make sure you save some room.
Hardy peas and broad beans go in in October and over-wintering onions, shallots and garlic in November. You can also plant hardy lettuce late which gives you a crop in Feb/March. Then stuff like Swiss Chard is perennial and goes through Winter and your parsnips , swede and beetroot you plant now won't be ready till Winter/early Spring. Brassicas sown now will be a Winter/Spring crop (doesn't stop you picking some leaves or eating thinnings before though!) so you've got to allow for all the space taken up for a long time and make sure you've got room for successional sowings over the summer such as salad stuff. legumes and carrots.
This gardening thing is not just a hobby, exercise, fresh air and fresh food....it's a methodical calculation, planning and imho takes skill and art .........
And you can learn it all on here!!! (Brilliant site!)
Good luck on your lottie!

xx
i am new and could do with a bit of advise please

Started by Noreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 19:42
by Noreen
xx
Little help and advise please.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 15:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
Can anyone advise please?

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 06:56
by JulesJ
xx
can someone please advise me?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 17:48
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 39 queries.