Little help and advise please.

• 13 Replies

Riala

Little help and advise please.
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:47 »
I have an insane amount of things growing, but some of my seedlings look like they will soon be ready to go to their permanent growing homes.  I am thinking of constructing something like this:

Sorry for the poor effort... Anyway.  I figured on having my runner beans in the big tubs at the side, something small in the lower tubs that wouldn't be under the top ones, but forward of them, if that makes sense?

But maybe have something like erm... onions, radish and spinach in the bottom ones, with my carrots and leeks in the tops two?

Would that work?

noshed

Re: Little help and advise please.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 14:10 »
Hi Riala, with those relatively small pots I'd not bother with onions or leeks because they take up room and don't really taste that much better. Salad stuff, small cabbages and maybe some tumbling toms in the bigger pots might work.
You could try crowing cucumbers upwards as well as the beans. You'll probably have to grow the round carrots to fit in the pots but they should be OK.
Hope this helps a bit and let us know how it goes.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 14:21 »
I had chard in big pots last year, which did well for ages - that might be a bit easier than spinach.  I don't know whether the shallower pots would be enough for chard or not, though.  I did lettuce and herbs (parsley grew well, can't remember what else) in my window-box style planters last year.

Riala

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 23:44 »
Small pots?

The corner ones are 40cms and the troughs are 52cms... I thought they were quite big for only 2 people in our household and a 2yr old.

I was considering growing the leeks in 4litre milk cartons with the tops cut off.  Also, I have only ever grown cucumbers upwards... Didn't realise I could do them any other way.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 00:16 »
They are small pots for a family of 3 if you want to get a good yield, the suggestion of salad and toms will get a larger crop for the space you have. Its a shame you cant fit in more growing space as I know you want to,  but theres only so much you can grow for a family of 3 without giving up some more space for pots
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 06:09 »
To be honest, yes they are small pots, relative to what you're thinking of growing. The long tubs do not look deep enough for leeks, which need to be in a dibbed hole about 15cms deep, without hitting the bottom.

Most carrots also need depth, but you could try "Parmex" which grow in a round shape.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/473/1.html

I don't wish to put a dampener on it, but you will struggle to feed 2 people out of pots. One of my plots - about 300 sq m doesn't quite cut the mustard if you want to raise crops that take a lot of room like spuds & sweetcorn.

Concentrate on the higher cropping & expensive veg. Runner beans that you are proposing is a good way to go, these are a good cropper, but seem to cost a lot considering the ease with which they can be grown.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Riala

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:15 »
My Potatoes are in 4 planters along the sunny wall, they seem to be doing really well, and my soil is almost to the top now. 

The Strawberries are also in a proper planter, they too seem to be doing well, if a little slow.  I also have 4 canes are varied sorts of berries, only one of these has a lot of leaves on, the others seem to not be doing much, although I can see buds. 

Would it be easier if I lined everything up and took pics and photoshopped the named of everything?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:36 »
Although meant for plantsin the ground, have you looked at the square foot garden riala?  This may help you area wise, although like the others have said, some things need depth or they will be stunted. I know, I've tried a  lot of things in pots.  The carrots I had in pots did well, but the 'pots' were around 2ft sq and nearly that deep.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_sqft.php

You say runners in those big square pots, but if you bought Alderman peas, they grow tall 5-6ft so you culd train those up canes in one of the pots too.

Riala

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 13:38 »
It is really difficult for me to explain how little the space is that I have.  I am only going on the advice of people like the BBC, Gardners World and other companies that say you can grow all you need in Window Boxes etc.

I have canes and runners for the high growers, Cucumbers, peas/beans even for my sunflowers. 

I have 4 litre milk cartons with the very tops cut off for the deepers like Leeks, Carrots and even the onions if that is possible?

Do I need anything else?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 14:11 »
You wont grow all you need in a back garden in pots (unless you have a huge area) Grow what you can and what you have space for, GA also has a good idea with the square foot gardening. All containers youve mentioned you can grow veg in, but not in a large quantity, and maybe not to the size you would achieve in the ground

Riala

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 14:23 »
I have looked at the Square foot Garden, and promptly sent my other half to B&Q. :D

I have managed to convince him that in the long run, the garden will not have pots and troughs on every wall and edge, instead, i can have one small corner of our yard with everything in it!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 14:31 »
Good for you, remember the pics and to post how you get on, Id be interested in this. Good idea Grannie!

Riala

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 14:39 »
I will... I will start taking pics right now!

Before and afters!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 15:07 »
I used to grow quite a lot in containers before we got our allotment but you spend your life watering them all, at least 3 times a day  ::)

xx
Can anyone advise please?

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 06:56
by JulesJ
xx
what to sow now..please advise

Started by babyblue on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 13:09
by viettaclark
xx
can someone please advise me?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 17:48
by Yorkie
xx
i am new and could do with a bit of advise please

Started by Noreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 19:42
by Noreen

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 40 queries.