Potatoes

• 8 Replies

bovboy

Potatoes
« on: April 23, 2009, 17:11 »
Good Afternoon all,

Am a newbie on here and in the allotment, have taken over a rather daunting overgrown patch this spring, slowly getting it cleared, but am finding lots of questions. Have spent some time looking through the old posts which has helped with a number but there are 2 pressing Q's

1. Alot of our plot is covered, and i mean covered, with what I think is creeping buttercup. I am slowly trying to dig it out but it is very time consuming, anyway my question is what do you do with the dug weeds, I believe you can't use them in compost as they regenerate so where do you put them??

2. I have succesfully planted some pots, only trouble is, after reading the forum, I have planted them upside down!!!! Should I dig them up or will they right themselves?? (have already dug my onion sets up as found they too deep!!)

Anyway this website is fantastic thanks in advance

iwantanallotment

Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 17:16 »
Welcome, bovboy  :)

Your potatoes will be fine, they know which way to grow.

Re the weeds - is burning them an option?

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 17:40 »
re perennial weeds - like all organic matter they can be composted given enough time, problem is not enough heat is generated in most domestic compost heaps to kill the perennial weeds. One answer is to keep them well covered and exclude the light and they will eventually die and rot - give them at least a year. This could be done in sealed bags ( builders bags? ) or a tin sheet compost bin with a good cover. I have made large quantities like this with perennial weeds and lawn mowings with good results despite lack of aeration.
Another way to get rid is to take them home to the green bin. Large scale composting after shredding can generate sufficiently high temperatures to kill perennial weeds so you don't have to feel guilty!
Some people dry out and burn, you get the minerals but loose all the organic matter
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 17:48 »
Welcome to the forums,

I agree with both the above posts - spuds will be fine, and either burn buttercup or place it in green bin - not your compost bin, unless you have space for a separate perennial weeds bin for a couple of years (even if I had the space I personally wouldn't use that).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 20:03 »
With regard to the perennial weeds, I knock all the soil off them, and leave them on a concrete slab in the sun. They will then die and dry up and and after a week or so can be put on the compost heap. They will be classed as browns so mix them with some grass cuttings. You won't see them again.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 20:05 »
I don't know what happened. I thought I was putting a smiley face at the end. Got it wrong!! How do you do it??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 20:07 »
You just click on the smiley face :)

Yabba

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 20:30 »
Or type in the code ;) ( ;) ) .. although it doesn't always work :roll: .. :rolleyes: .... I give up ... *clicks* ::)

¥

bovboy

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 16:39 »
Brilliant, thanks for all your advice.

I'm glad I don't have to play 'Hunt the Spud'  ::)

Don't think burning is an option, liked the option about leaving them in the sun, although that would mean i need ALOT of slabs  :lol:

Hopefully this weekend will give me a chance to clear most of the tough weeds.

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes

Started by Gareth W-D on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 22:59
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 37 queries.