Allotment

• 5 Replies

linda graham

Allotment
« on: June 30, 2015, 20:41 »
Well everyone its a year now since i got my allotment and yippee we have managed to get 3 beds up and running with potatoes in one onions in another (witch are starting to go to seed ) and peas and beans in another my lovely garden neighbour also gave us a few cabbages to put in all in i am very proud of what we have achieved in 1 year, dont get me wrong there is still allot to do as we have only got 1 3rd of the allotment done but we have made a start.
Now we are looking to next year and want a  greenhouse so if any one can give me some advice i would be grateful, we are on an exposed sight which is quite windy if that helps.
Look forward to your comments. :D

3759allen

Re: Allotment
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 22:14 »
look into a poly tunnel instead of a green house, you get far more for your money. if you erect it properly wind will not be a problem.

i would also advise growing direct in the ground, remove some of the top soil and add compost. far more nutrients available and less water needed compared to pots and containers.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:25 »
Our site is also very windy and greenhouses often suffer significant damage. However poly-tunnels seem to stay put alright, so I would agree with allen's advice there.

Having one would help you grow a wide variety of food crops earlier than in the open ground, as well as the more obvious tomatoes etc
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:57 »
Hi Linda. There was another thread about choosing a greenhouse that had lots of useful advice including windy sites. Not sure which forum it was on though.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mobilephil

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:52 »
Our site is also very windy and greenhouses often suffer significant damage. However poly-tunnels seem to stay put alright, so I would agree with allen's advice there.

Having one would help you grow a wide variety of food crops earlier than in the open ground, as well as the more obvious tomatoes etc

On our site (very windy, west coast), the polytunnels faired better than the greenhouses many of which were completely trashed with broken glass everywhere in last winters storms.  There are small ones available if size is an issue.  Haygrove start at 2m x 2m and go up to football pitch in size.

linda graham

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 18:42 »
Thanks for your advice everyone will do some research  :D

xx
New allotment help

Started by finty22 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 14:55
by andreadon
xx
First day on our allotment!

Started by sheridan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 14:45
by sheridan
xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 17, 2015, 23:39
by surbie100
xx
allotment

Started by superpete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2013, 22:07
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 38 queries.