Advice on keeping bantams

• 3 Replies

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
Advice on keeping bantams
« on: July 09, 2010, 22:30 »
I'm planning on having three or may be four - no more - bantams shortly.  I was wondering if anyone could advise on the housing.  I've not ordered yet as there are just so many questions when you start looking into it.

Choices on housing are

Smiths sectional - The Spinney
Flyte so Fancy - Haven hen house - 9ft run
Domestic Fowl Trust - Penthouse.

The chickens would be confined during the day to the run and can free range (trash) the garden when I'm home.  I would have to confine them as I have two cats - one trustworthy - one may be not - but a lot of visiting moggies mine are too scared of to get rid of.  

Does anyone have any experience with these houses.  Is a 6x6 or 9x4 sufficient for the ladies to scrat around in during the day.  Any other hints and tips also welcolme

Plans are for hemcore or the like bedding.  Galv 1 gallon drinker and a hanging peck feeder from the domestic fowl trust but any other suggestions welcomed.

Sorry it went on so long but I keep deliberating.  
Should the run be covered etc etc.  
Woodchip is planned to put down in it initially - poo picked and replaced when required.
Lots of greens etc alla allotment.  
Cats vet is brilliant and they are already on board.  Last time I was there they had a Pekin in one of their hospital cages!

Thanks in advance.   They are giving me such a headache.  The house was supposed to be here this week but the debate continues on a pace.   Just want to go and order the girlies but can't till appropriate accommodation is in place.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 22:47 by birmancats »

sarah f

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice on keeping bantams
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:36 »
i would order the largest you can afford of the lot you have mentioned,  my coop and run is smaller than that but they do get to roam the garden.
i keep miniature silkies and serama, and bantam silkies.

i use the plastic drink and food containers
sawdust in coop
 easybed outside in covered run
 yes i would say they are big enough for them to use during the day and get a leg stretch when your home.
goodluck with the chickens mine are a pleasure to keep

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:39 by sarah f »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 07:44 »
get the largest run you can do, they need a minimum of 1 square meter per bird but if they are to be kept in it for any long periods of time then ideally 2 square meters per bird. Also make sure you can easily move the coup and run around so that they can have fresh ground to scratch around on and also to let the ground recover. With the coup - I haven't seen any of them - make sure that they are very accessable for cleaning out, check the perch configuration -i.e. size and layout, check the timber is properly seasoned and treated. Another alternative is to look at either an eglu - plastic, cute, easily cleaned and easier to remove red mite or have a look at the Forsham range - these like the eglu are built to last, again like the eglu have a good resale value and unlike the eglu are made of wood for those who like the traditional look  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:48 »
Thanks very much for all the advice.   going to move a few plants around to get 2mtrs per bird in. 

xx
keeping bantams?

Started by callum on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 18:35
by callum
xx
HELP ON KEEPING BANTAMS

Started by poultrypeople on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 17:24
by joyfull
xx
keeping bantams and oppringtins together

Started by freyaluck on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 23:10
by freyaluck
xx
advice on bantams please

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 16:18
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 29 queries.