pickled cabbage

• 8 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
pickled cabbage
« on: July 20, 2015, 22:05 »
I have some pickled cabbage from last year the top inch is no longer in vinegar but sealed. Should this be ok to eat . How long can you keep jam .

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: pickled cabbage
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 22:14 »
In my experience, pickled cabbage only lasts a couple of months before it goes soggy. If it were mine, I wouldn't be contemplating eating any of it, let alone the top bit sitting out of the vinegar!

Jam on the other hand, properly made in steralised jars can last years.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 22:22 »
I've had jam from 2005, a bit hard but softened in the microwave it was ok, up until last year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 22:56 »
If properly sealed jam will last for many years. Don't think I have had jam quite as long as Snowy tho', :lol:

Provided there is no mould on the jam and you cooked it with at least 50% or more sugar you are likely to be OK. Using proper jar lids gives a better seal and keeping ability than using the cellophane lids. With the cellophane tops there is more chance of drying out and crystallisation of the sugar. And the fresh taste of the jam will deteriorate too.

Some jams have a higher sugar content than others and they are the ones that will last longest and keep well.

The official WI information on keeping preserves is that jam has a shelf/ best before life of 1 year and marmalade of 2. But if the seal is good we have eaten jam that had been hidden at the back of the cupboard that was 6 years old.

With pickled cabbage, again if made properly with vinegar of a high enough acidity, and a proper salting of the cabbage before pickling it should be fine to eat. If you are worried about the top layer throw that away.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:22 »
I came across my jars of 2005 bramble jelly last year, I'd made it for my dad & he died in 2005, he requested some bramble jam but I knew he detested the pips  :) he only had a couple of tastes by that was enough for him & me. I used it up as he hated waste as much as I do. I've only ever used the cellophane lids. If you use the metal lids,new, do you just tighten them whilst the jam is hot,is that enough to seal them?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 07:32 »
I would boil the lids, even if they are new, but yes, I've made jam and jelly and put it into jars with just the screw top lid and that does make a good enough seal. 

If you had waxed discs and wanted to use them as well, that would be a double insurance policy, but no harm in that  :)

In my experience, pickled cabbage only lasts a couple of months before it goes soggy. If it were mine, I wouldn't be contemplating eating any of it, let alone the top bit sitting out of the vinegar!

I'm with DD on that one.  Pickled cabbage is a make and eat up quick pickle, not a keeping one.  It will probably be safe to eat, just not that nice any more  :(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:48 »
I came across my jars of 2005 bramble jelly last year, I'd made it for my dad & he died in 2005, he requested some bramble jam but I knew he detested the pips  :) he only had a couple of tastes by that was enough for him & me. I used it up as he hated waste as much as I do. I've only ever used the cellophane lids. If you use the metal lids,new, do you just tighten them whilst the jam is hot,is that enough to seal them?

I always use new plastic coated metal lids. Cover the lids with boiling water while I pot up the preserves in sterilised jars.

I fill to the top of the jars, screw the lids on tightly and the invert the jars and leave them upside down for about five minutes. This is a belt and braces action to make sure the boiling jam kills of anything that could possibly got through my scrupulous sterilising.

You get a really good vacuum seal and the jam will last in really good condition for years.

I never use wax discs with the metal lids as they can add bacteria and  cause moulds.

I know some people do and never have any problems but I know several people who have said that they never have problems, and given me some to prove it and there has been mould growing.

Metal lids are only a few pence each from my supplier. The cheapest I have found.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:36 »
I would boil the lids, even if they are new,...

So do I even when they are new - you never know who has been touching them or where they have been before they reach your kitchen.

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 16:37 »
This thread has made me hungry for kimchee!
I don't book my lids, I pour boiling water over them in a bowl to let the sealing compound soften. The hotter the jam going in the better the seal, assuming that is, your lids are good. I also wipe the rim of each jar with a clean paper towel to remove and jam that may have spilled. That helps ensure a good seal as well. I know some people wipe the rims with vinegar. I waterbath my jams but I know it's not common practice everywhere.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

xx
Pickled red cabbage

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 17:48
by FRUITFULL
xx
Pickled red cabbage

Started by Springlands on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 20:41
by Springlands
xx
Pickled cabbage

Started by Roll Roll on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 21:46
by Roll Roll
xx
Pickled Cabbage Recipes

Started by Snowpea on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 31, 2019, 04:43
by Snowpea

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 36 queries.