Polytunnel on allotment

• 2 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Polytunnel on allotment
« on: October 15, 2023, 19:03 »
I’ve just taken over the tenancy on an allotment. I’ve been really lucky in that the previous tenant is leaving a polytunnel.
It is one of the green woven skin types. Judging by the beds inside it has been up for a few seasons and is still solid so must be quite sturdy.
My question is about what kind of things to attempt to grow in it bearing in mind that I won’t be able to get down very often during the week….maybe onece or twice but definitely not every day or every other day.
I’m thinking that seedlings will dry out really quickly so no point trying to grow things on in pots.
It has raised beds but I’m a bit unsure about the nest crops to put into them that will be able to survive the heat without much water other than what comes in via the sides/ water table (which is quite high as we are at sea level).
Does anyone have experience of growing in a tunnel without being able to irrigate very much?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Polytunnel on allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 19:38 »
I used a DIY system, something like this
https://www.diy.com/departments/automatic-irrigation-drip-system-kit-with-10-heads-hosepipe-attachment-garden-watering-tool-for-plant-pots-borders-greenhouse/5053335909680_BQ.prd?alt=true

connected up to a water butt/old drum raised up on a few pallets to get enough pressure for it to work.
You just have to remember to fill up the drum. How long it lasts depends on how much flow you give to the drippers, and/or how many drums you connect together. It needs a bit of fiddling to get it set right, but was perfect once up and running.

brownp

• Experienced Member
Re: Polytunnel on allotment
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 05:43 »
Thanks for that idea…there is an IBC very close to it…I’ll have a go at that
Thanks

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 43 queries.