panic buying

• 24 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Panic buying...
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 22:53 »
Five packs of cheese footballs just now - all the shops ran out by the end of November around here...

There is a bit of a rush on them where I work as well.  Devotees are known to sweep them off the shelf into a basket and run to the till.  I hope you managed your panic buying with a little more decorum than that Mr G  :lol:

We have mountains of stock arriving on a daily basis.  I reckon all these stories of shortages are some devious plot by the food retail sector  ;)

Or those attempting to push a certain political narrative ;)

Growster...

Re: panic buying
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 05:35 »
Of course, News!

I actually wasn't planning on going there at all yesterday, but there's a great aggregates yard nearby, and our paths are like glass after any rain, so I salt them regularly...

It was only a couple of miles further so a quick visit to Jempsons in Peasmarsh was on the cards, and just as well too! I've met the owners on several occasions (had a development scheme once where they were interested), and their reputation around here is legendary, plus the fact that they sell stuff we can't get around the village of course!

(Sorry Mods, I started another post without thinking - cheese footballs do that to some people)!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 16:20 »
No real need to panic buy food when you live alone, as there's always an alternative menu you can come up with if you've run out of something.

However, for some reason my 'inner orangutan' seems to panic about running low on peanut butter, and directs me to buy a new jar every other time I go shopping. I now have 5 large unopened jars of the stuff, way more than any other foodstuff (I can't say I don't actually like peanut butter, but I don't eat it that often or in large quantities!)   ::)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 16:30 »

I also tried to panic buy some rock salt for the slippery paths, but couldn't find any!
So did I and ended up phoning local Wickes. They have it in stock but not yet on show so I drove out there and bought two sacks in anticipation of a dreadful winter and resultant shortages ;)

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 06:37 »
No real need to panic buy food when you live alone, as there's always an alternative menu you can come up with if you've run out of something.

However, for some reason my 'inner orangutan' seems to panic about running low on peanut butter, and directs me to buy a new jar every other time I go shopping. I now have 5 large unopened jars of the stuff, way more than any other foodstuff (I can't say I don't actually like peanut butter, but I don't eat it that often or in large quantities!)   ::)  :lol:

Marvellous stuff, peanut butter, especially on the 'blue' Ryvita!

There's a 'new' one around here, called Meridian, and it beats the others by some way!

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 06:39 »

I also tried to panic buy some rock salt for the slippery paths, but couldn't find any!
So did I and ended up phoning local Wickes. They have it in stock but not yet on show so I drove out there and bought two sacks in anticipation of a dreadful winter and resultant shortages ;)

Thanks for the tip Alan, our nearest Wickes is in Maidstone, but our local GC has some 'down in the yard' somewhere, so I'm popping in later today hopefully!

wighty

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 07:39 »
We've been offered some to sell but the problem is it's only available on a pallet of 80 bags.  If we have a mild winter we could be stuck with the rest for a while.  It's alright for the 'sheds' as they can share a  pallet between their outlets but independants like us are caught.  It's the same problem with roofing felt.

snowdrops

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 09:55 »
We've been offered some to sell but the problem is it's only available on a pallet of 80 bags.  If we have a mild winter we could be stuck with the rest for a while.  It's alright for the 'sheds' as they can share a  pallet between their outlets but independants like us are caught.  It's the same problem with roofing felt.

Put a sign up that’s it in demand & only available 2 bags per customer it’ll be gone in no time!  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 12:30 »
I bought some rice yesterday, came to put it away and found another large unopened bag ::)  I did notice that all the pasta was gone in both of the supermarkets I use.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 17:41 »
we managed to get fuel yesterday and our local shops seem to have most things in store but its funny our local co-op store doesn't have some co-op brands but when you go to the other store that's not a co-op store but sells co-op products has plenty of co-op brands on there shelves its  a no brainer  ???

xx
Panic at the birdbox

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2021, 14:47
by mrs bouquet
xx
buying meat

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post April 01, 2023, 09:56
by rowlandwells
xx
Buying Clothes

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2019, 10:34
by mrs bouquet
xx
buying plants on line

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 29, 2024, 14:59
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 49 queries.