A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...

• 94 Replies

Lardman

Re: A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2021, 15:51 »
Worrying times - considering that I'm with a small 'greener' company and a couple of hundred in credit towards the winter bills  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Last thing I heard on this was the big 6 were taking on the customers and the Government (aka taxpayers) were subsiding it- Not sure what will happen with the credit on the bill but I image it would be transferred so you should be alright. A huge increase in price and the loss of account credit would really sting.

GraciesGran

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2021, 16:03 »
Just done ours, a hike of £39.00 a month.  Could have been worse I suppose. 

If anyone tells me how easy it is to switch I will stake them out over an ants nest.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2021, 22:05 »
If your supplier goes bust, the advice is to stay put and wait to be transferred - because your credit (or debt!) will transfer with you.  But your tariff doesn't transfer so you are likely to be on a higher tariff once moved.  The advice is to ask the new supplier to ensure that you are on its best rate, which may improve matters somewhat.  Plus also check the whole of market comparison sites (e.g. Money Saving Expert's Energy Club) to see if you could save with a tariff on another of the bigger suppliers.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2021, 12:14 »
Worrying times - considering that I'm with a small 'greener' company and a couple of hundred in credit towards the winter bills  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
If your supplier goes bust, the advice is to stay put and wait to be transferred - because your credit (or debt!) will transfer with you.  But your tariff doesn't transfer so you are likely to be on a higher tariff once moved.  The advice is to ask the new supplier to ensure that you are on its best rate, which may improve matters somewhat.
Green customers are being tranferred to EDF. That's who I left in June/July because their best rate was a lot more expensive than other providers, plus despite them installing my smart meter, the readings never showed on their site., whereas it did on Green's  :wacko:
Oh well looks like I may be trying to find a better supplier again, shortly  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2021, 14:12 »
The EDF usage definitely isn't easy to get to, but possible, Mum...

Login to your acc, go to 'Account activity', then click 'My energy graph'.

You'll finish up with a download of a CSV file if you scroll down to the link, but this is just a non-usable picture of your usage and costs.

After that, there are ways to convert CSV files to Excel, or what I do, Chrome Sheets, but for me to describe how isn't the quickest way to explain - you will, however, get to a proper spreadsheet, which you can use as you want, but they certainly don't make it easy, that's for sure!

If you use Chrome, then I'll try and take you through the process, but we'll need a whole evening, and a bottle of red each to compensate..;0)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2021, 16:15 »
Holding my breath over gas prices after the winter. One thought? has anyone ventured into the exotic realm of heat pumps? We have ducted warm air driven by gas at present and I’m wondering whether I should be looking at “Air to Air Heat pumps”.
Probably not save money at present but I wonder whether it could be a way to guard against future price rises. HH
Keep digging

Lardman

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2021, 16:48 »
Probably not save money at present but I wonder whether it could be a way to guard against future price rises.
My understanding (and it's been a few years since I looked) that from domestic use it would take decades to reach a ROI even with significant increases in running costs of a modern conventional heating systems.  If all else fails jumpers are cheap  :lol:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2021, 13:22 »
I have the jumpers ready for action. :D
My thought was whether gas central heating will be banned outright at some point. I know it’s banned in new builds from 2025 which is an ominous portent. (I don’t want any protesters glueing themselves to my drive)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2021, 13:53 »

Green customers are being tranferred to EDF. That's who I left in June/July because their best rate was a lot more expensive than other providers, plus despite them installing my smart meter, the readings never showed on their site., whereas it did on Green's  :wacko:
Oh well looks like I may be trying to find a better supplier again, shortly  ::)
Well, just had an email which says I'm actually being tranferred to Shell. Shell??? I've had a look at their tarrifs, and unless we're going to get a better option through Ofgem, on their cheapest tarrif I'll still have to pay at least £35 more per month  :(
wrt gas being phased out, they better start building some nuclear plants pdq, how else will we make enough power to run all vehicles and for home heating? The mini ones look to be a step forward...
https://www.rolls-royce.com/innovation/small-modular-reactors.aspx#section-training

Christine

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2021, 17:55 »
Yep I thought that you were going to Shell not EDF. It's not offered the best option for a few times I have looked. But then again - the options I've always liked best were with obscure companies who came and went after a brief stay in the gas and electricity business.

Growster...

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2021, 06:09 »
Sadly, Mum, it's about here for us all!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-57398732

I see Damian's in on the act, but he won't remember meeting me I suspect...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2021, 14:28 »
Did anybody else watch the latest Martin Lewis MSE programme?
The energy cap per unit for April is set to go up to a horrible price  :ohmy: Hopefully by then our need for heating will have gone down, and prices will ease back over the summer. Looks as if the next year or so is going to be difficult for a lot of people.

I've been going round the house to see if there is anything I can do to stay warmer, while hopefully using less energy. The back door will need a heavy curtain, and some new draft strips for a start  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2021, 17:51 »
This is awful for you Mum, and my heart goes out to anyone - and everyone - in this predicament!

I just cannot believe that this government has allowed such a hike in power costs to consumers, and this is not a 'political' statement, it's about plain disastrous, national economics, and a wasteful misuse of our own resources like coal etc. For goodness sake, we 'import' wood chips from the other side of the world to burn over here for power! All that diesel, CO2 etc just to appease the wrong sort of noisy lobby.

I agree about draught strips too, as we have a sort of carpet 'sausage' to lay aross the bottom of our front door, because the wind just shoots through when it's cold, but extra strips must be a way to help out!

'Cotton Traders', here I come - new jerseys already on the list...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2021, 16:46 »
Just received an email from my energy supplier advising that my 2 year fixed rate dual fuel contract ends in February 2022, and what my renewal options are.

Gulp!!!  :ohmy:

Whether choosing either a 1 year or two year contract the electricity price will nearly double (to around 30p per unit,) and the gas price nearly treble (to nearly 9p per unit.)

Might have to go on a variable tariff initially in the hope that prices come down, but at the moment the 'expert' forecasters don't seem to agree whether that will actually happen next year.

My only consolation is that I can at least afford to pay more - I feel so sorry for those who will really struggle, and then of course there are the knock on effects feeding through to higher goods prices from businesses.
Very worrying times, as if there wasn't already enough to worry about.  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2021, 17:29 »
Martin Lewis' advice at present is to stay on the variable rate, as it will be cheaper than any fix that you can find.  But bear in mind that the price cap, which limits how much can be charged per unit on the standard variable rate, will go up in April, based on the cost of fuel in more recent months.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 17:30 by Yorkie »

xx
Which is the more economical with electricity.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 11:46
by JayG
xx
the cost of cough

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 11:50
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Cost of shredding

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2022, 11:07
by snowdrops
xx
cost of things

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2024, 19:42
by jaydig

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 52 queries.