chicken sounds

• 7 Replies

JMF

chicken sounds
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:49 »
can any tell me why one of our chickens is screeching she does it now and again but seems to be ok just worried in case something wrong.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: chicken sounds
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 13:12 »
Nothing wrong.  I think they all do it sometimes. 

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 13:33 »
Ours would often do that if they saw a "big" bird in the sky presumably a warning to all, that it might be a bird of prey. More often, though it seems to be done as a shriek of sheer delight about something, be it sunbathing, a tasty treat.....! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 19:04 »
I would love for experienced chicken keepers to post recordings of their chickens' sounds!

Apparently they can make/recognise about 30 different sounds, including different ones for a predator that's walking through the grass (in which case the other hens will stretch up their necks and look around) and an airborne predator (in which case they run for cover under a tree etc).

They also make the "took took" noise when they find food.  The faster they repeat their "took took" the more delicious the food they have found!

Check out the research done by Dr K-lynn Smith and Professor Chris Evans from Macquarie University in Australia:
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/cunning-chickens-use-complex-communication.htm

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:58 »
I've noticed the "TOOK TOOK" noise when they find food or are eating what i have given them.
Can't mistake the noise when laying an egg - probably isn't, but sounds painful  :ohmy:
Mine i have noticed make like a low noise when i come in the back door past them, but add "rosey" noise when i am carrying something. Probably think i have been shopping for them  :D
My partner has said that when i drive the car round the back to park they start making a noise & only my car. Perhaps they recognise the sound a bit like a dog can.
Two of mine sound like they are copying me when i make noises too them  :D They actually do sound like they are trying. I've had a couple people comment :happy:

It is nice that they coming running when they see me & make noises when i speak to them.
Otherhalf thinks i'm mad or lost it, as she said she has heard me talking to them & seen me sat with them, letting them climbing on me through the kitchen window  :lol:

It would be nice to have someone post a link to the different sounds they make, like someone has with Guinea Pigs.

IanExMachina

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 22:40 »
When my girls were having a dust bath, I heard what I'd describe as a short purr every now and again.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:03 »
Oh I agree!  When my hens sun bathe they make the most strange noises.  It almost sounds as though they are having (dare I say it on the forum?) a great sexual experience.   ;)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 15:56 »
mine also purr if they have the sun on their backs in the dust bath, they squark continually when I arrive home til I go out and see them, I have one who constantly makes a puttering sound! When I go to put them to bed they are all quiet then I ask 'everyone one tucked up?' and they all respond with low squarks, yes I think we are all mad :wacko:

xx
Hens Laying Songs and Other strange sounds

Started by henamoured on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 19:11
by New shoot
xx
For the chicken who has everything......

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2015, 16:30
by nerdle
xx
Will I be able to eat chicken again??

Started by Mrs.Apron on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 10:39
by the Kergan
xx
For the chicken that has everything

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 09:24
by Springlands

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 36 queries.