Where do you get your products from? and other questions

• 5 Replies

SocksOn

Hello

I have been looking at the domestic fowl trust website and seen that they sell Flubenvet 1% for £16 - is that a good price?

Also saw that they had various red mite powders and solutions, in your opinions/experience which are the best to use, in terms of value and effectiveness?

When we first looked into it we decided that we would get the products as and when we needed them but in hindsight probably better that we have them in 'stock' so to speak - which products do you have to hand at home ready to use?

Are there any providers which are better than others?

Also I posted a little while ago about pecking - we've been introducing her back with the other 2 gradually as ended up having to separate them (the bully that is) - i was reading a post recently about normal behaviour and how eating feathers is not normal, however she's always eaten the odd feather is she just weird or could there be something missing from her diet? I've also noticed that when we come up to let them out she rubs up against the wire and a few feathers seemed to have broken (but no feathers in coop/run) could this be a sign of something else?

We're not very experienced chicken keepers and there is so much to learn any advice/experience given is greatly appreciated. Thank you
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 20:02 by SocksOn »

SocksOn

Re: Where do you get your products from? and other questions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:42 »
Sorry forgot to add that in the run some areas can be dusty and they dig their own dust baths how do I go about anti red miting those or should they really have a set bucket or something to bathe in?

Thank you again

*also just seen the flubenvet info on the useful information link  :mellow:

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 13:52 »
For prevention of red mite, it is far cheaper to by ant powder containing permethrine than specific "chicken" aimed powders ;)

SocksOn

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 20:04 »
Thank you. Would you buy that when you discovered you had red mite? or use it as a precaution? or is that a different thing in itself completely?!!  

Sorry for so many questions, and thank you for replies xx

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:56 »
Personally I would use it only if I had a problem :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 21:03 »
I dust my coop every time I clean out the hens as a prevention.  I also keep purple spray in stock in case needed (only once so far for a quail that cut her head!)  I bought lots of things for the hens on line by searching for the cheapest price (much cheaper than our local supplier)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
sanitiser products

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 14:39
by neenyneen
xx
worming products

Started by Denno17 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 08:35
by lisa80
xx
Cleaning products

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2007, 09:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
Where can I get Red mite treatment and other products?

Started by Raven81 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 15:31
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 39 queries.