Cleaning products

• 7 Replies

Blondie

Cleaning products
« on: May 21, 2007, 21:41 »
Hello, im a bit confused as to what cleaning products to buy. As a general disinfectant I'm planning on using jeyes fluid watered down but how much water to fluid ratio? Was just going to mix it and spray it about in a plant squirter thingy- that ok or does the house etc need a really good soaking? Does jeyes do the same job as things like poultry shield?
Then i was thinking of dusting red mite powder in nooks and crannys, nestbox, dustbath and amongst wood chips in run- ok? What's the difference between red mite powder and diatom or are they the same thing. What about louse powder too or does red mite powder do the same job?
Can anyone help? Want to keep the place clean and healthy for the hens but don't want to spend a fortune on products i don't need etc so if anyone has any suggestions id appreciate it! Thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Cleaning products
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 21:58 »
Quote from: "Blondie"
Hello, im a bit confused as to what cleaning products to buy. As a general disinfectant I'm planning on using jeyes fluid watered down but how much water to fluid ratio? Was just going to mix it and spray it about in a plant squirter thingy- that ok or does the house etc need a really good soaking? Does jeyes do the same job as things like poultry shield?

I can't really help you with this question as I don't have a wooden hen house  but a plastic one which needs almost no cleaning.

Quote from: "Blondie"
Then i was thinking of dusting red mite powder in nooks and crannys, nestbox, dustbath and amongst wood chips in run- ok? What's the difference between red mite powder and diatom or are they the same thing. What about louse powder too or does red mite powder do the same job?

Dusting you house with red mite powder or diatom is in my opinion essential.  Either can be used for organic systems.  Red mite powder is made from natural products.  I  presume plant extracts although I'm not sure what.  Diatom is a non-crystalline silica, the remains of diatoms from many thousands of years ago.  It is sharp and abrades the lice and mites causing them to dehydrate.

You will need to worm your hens every 4-6 months.  There are a number of products for this but I believe the best one is flubenvet, which is specifically for birds.

Hope this helps,  do ask more questions if you have any worries  :D

Ali

Cleaning products
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 22:04 »
I want to keep chickens but am worried about all the worming/insecticide stuff you have to give them. Will it affect how safe the eggs are and also will it be a threat to garden insects and other wildlife and also my pet cats?

Also vaccinations - do you have to keep having them done annually like cat ones? How much does all this stuff cost?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cleaning products
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 22:22 »
Quote from: "Ali"
I want to keep chickens but am worried about all the worming/insecticide stuff you have to give them. Will it affect how safe the eggs are and also will it be a threat to garden insects and other wildlife and also my pet cats?

There is really not much you have to do.  Red mite powder or Diatom will take care of the lice and mites.  Both organic and non-toxic - unless you are a louse or a mite.  Flubenvet will take care of worms.  And neither will have any effect on the eggs, pets or garden insects.

Quote from: "Ali"
Also vaccinations - do you have to keep having them done annually like cat ones? How much does all this stuff cost?

As long as you get your birds from a good breeder they will have been inoculated when they were chicks against all the most common serious diseases.  You just need to check that with the person you are buying from.  There in no need for any re-vaccinations at all.

Do get some hens, they are great fun  :D

Midwife

• Experienced Member
Cleaning products
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 18:17 »
I was wondering when do chicks need inoculating? do I take them to the Vet? :? Also how old do chicks need to be when you first worm them?
Proud to be a 100% qualified, caring, encouraging, one more push, reassuring Midwife!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cleaning products
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 19:50 »
I think most small breeders eg. back garden chicks, never get inoculated.  The breeder just "risks it".  I would imagine vaccines are produced in 'whole large flock' quantities, so would not be economical for a few chicks.  You could ask your vets opinion though !

Midwife

• Experienced Member
Cleaning products
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 22:32 »
Thanks Aunt Sally

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cleaning products
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 09:36 »
Quote from: "Midwife"
Also how old do chicks need to be when you first worm them?
#
Sorry I didn't answer this question earlier.

I'm not sure of the answer here.  It is best to worm hens every 4-6 months, but I have never had chicks. As long as the hen who is looking after them is wormed I'm think they will be OK until they are 3 months old.

There are chick rearers on this forum who I'm sure can give you better advice.

xx
sanitiser products

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 14:39
by neenyneen
question
Where do you get your products from? and other questions

Started by SocksOn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 21:03
by daisy1990
xx
worming products

Started by Denno17 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 08:35
by lisa80
xx
Anti Pecking Products?

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 09:33
by Carrie99

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 35 queries.