Not for the vegitarians or the squesmish...

• 11 Replies

Feeb

• Experienced Member
Not for the vegitarians or the squesmish...
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:58 »
basicaly i want to know if i can kill and eat my chickens - i will keep them for a few years while they are layers but after that they will be ready for the table

are all chickens edible?  I thought they were but the lady in waitrose told me differently so thought i would ask here

i have - a welsummer
a maran
a gold laced wynadotte
and the last one i can never remember!

so can i eat those or are they no good?  :) xx

Foxy

Re: Not for the vegitarians or the squesmish...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02 »
You have pure breeds there that will lay for a good few years, easily 4 or 5 years. Saying that in 4 or 5 years they will be as tough as old boots, and you will have become very fond of them! :)

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 12:04 »
i imagine they would be as tough as old boots by the time they've stopped laying, if you want birds for the table why not invest in some meat chicks? they would be more suitable and just keep your layers for eggs.

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 12:05 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
great minds think alike eh the Fox....................

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 12:25 »
i am more concerned about what to do with them after they stop laying...  i dont have room for an ongoing collection of chickens and i could do with only having laying hens to be honest

how long do they live after they stop laying?  roughly of course

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 12:39 »
Not many live that long to be honest.  Health problems often overtake them before they get to the end of their laying life.

I'll bet you won't want to kill them after you've had them for a while ;)

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 14:19 »
A old timer once told me old hens no good for roasting but he steamed them think in a pressure cooker.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 14:32 »
depending on how many eggs they lay per yr the laying life is 2 to 3 yrs  (approx)  We tried eating an ex layer, there was very little meat and it was VERY tough. (weighed less than 2lb)  I think you could maybe caserole it for a few hrs to make it better, failing that it would only be fit for the dog.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 14:58 »
Old fowl - we used to live on them as a child - pressurecook then finish off in the oven. Not too tough done that way, and lots of flavour.

Old birds seem to reek a lot more than spring chickens when you draw them though.

SS

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 15:09 »
thanks for the tips guys, i may give the steaming option a go but after sitting in the garden all afternoon watching my chicks... am not sure i can - we shall see :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 20:45 »
When we got our first chicks and ended up with 300 rather than the 125 I ordered, I had to get rid of my ex battery girls to make room.  I put them on Freecycle, and 2 lovely ladies came and collected them.  Last I heard some of them are still going, although not laying, 2 years on, so they must be around 4 years old now!!!

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 19:10 »
Mosty things are edible, some just take more creative cooking than others. This includes badgers apparently although I haven't tried them. Old hens were a common ingredient when I was young and even into the 1970s I could buy them from a local egg farm for next to nothing. Skin them, don't bother plucking as you aren't going to roast these old boilers. Draw them, and yes they do reek something wicked. Pressure cooking is good,  or a long long slow cook in a casserole, with lots of water and veg/seasoning herbs. At the end you will have a little breast meat that is tender and a lot of fantastic stock to turn into soup.

Unless you have unlimited room you will have to neck your old birds sooner or later, so why waste their carcases?
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.