Growing in greenhouse borders

• 3 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Growing in greenhouse borders
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:19 »
Having acquired a second good sized greenhouse my mind is in a whirl as to what I can grow and how I can grow it.
I am thinking that as the the 10'x8' will be on cultivated soil maybe I should be using the borders to plant the tomatoes cucumbers and peppers directly into the soil.
What are the disadvantages and advantages for doing this.

snow white

Re: Growing in greenhouse borders
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:44 »
I plant directly in the soil.  Means less watering.  But I do rotate my crops in the poly tunnel.  I devided it into thirds and grow toms in one, peppers in one and lettuce, radishes, spring onions in the other.  That way I hope to reduce pests in the soil. I add lots of compost in the spring.  Has worked so far.  Not been at it long mind you!  Interested in what others say and do!  :blush:

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 10:10 »
I never get anything for nothing  :mad: You can go right off people you know  :D

I have 1 word for you weeds... for a few years at least you've going to be weeding those beds regularly and by the time you clear the weeds you'll have built up a bunch of nasty things in the soil as it's going to be difficult to rotate the crops.

BUT it does give you a more stable environment than pots, it's cheaper than continually buying in compost and you get another 8" or so in plant height. You can also use the odd bits of border, in the past of had a reasonable crop of carrots from in front of the tomatoes, but other catch crops would work too.

I think it's 6 of 1 and ½ a dozen of the other  :nowink: for what it's worth, I normally put the toms in sunken bottomless pots (flower buckets) and grow peppers direct in the soil. Im still wrestling with the chickweed and rose bay willow in there after 4 years though.

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:03 »
I do a bit of both. Some tomatoes I plant direct in the ground, some I plant in pots of compost buried in the ground. The roots will find their way out for water but you avoid some of the pest build up. Using the borders also means you've got space for basil and marigolds between the plants to help them.

xx
greenhouse borders

Started by jason g on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post January 01, 2013, 10:29
by New shoot
xx
help polytunnel Borders

Started by safetrade on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2012, 19:55
by sonnycbr
xx
Raised borders.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2019, 11:36
by Kleftiwallah
xx
New Polytunnel: Borders Or Pots

Started by The Red Baron on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 21:47
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 39 queries.