Pauline's losing her feathers.

• 5 Replies

too many girls

« on: June 29, 2008, 17:42 »
over the last few day's Pauline's lost a significant amount of feathers, we had to seperate her from Lonely as Lonely had started bullying her, she's back on her own now, the feather loss has come since she's been on her own so we know it's not from being picked on, whenever she shakes herself there's a cloud of feathers (mostly blue) and she looks more moth eaten than ever, my dad thinks it might be the aftershock of trauma, or could it simply be a moult? any ideas?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 20:02 »
I reckon its shock TMG she's been through a lot just recently.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 21:48 »
I agree with Richy, Think all she's been through is quite enought to shock her into losing a few feathers or goping into a moult.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 21:59 »
Hi TMG,

Sounds like a moult possibly caused by stress as they are falling and not pecked out.
If it is stress a little early for a natural moult would be a good idea to give her a helping hand by adding some extra protein perhaps a little catfood as a treat. Poultry Boost is a  good supplement to add to water. Chopped boiled egg with a little tinned tuna (in water not brine)would also help.
Bless her hope she is OK poor thing.
Adding a couple of chopped garlic cloves to help immune system would be good too.
fingers crossed for her
katherinex

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 22:22 »
thanks for the advice, she's already getting poultry spice, garlic powder ( meant to be for the horses,) limestone flour (also horses) and cider vinegar in her water, she's got more supplements in her food than food, she's also got poultry grit and we've been chopping up grass for her, just wanted to make sure there wasn't an underlying problem that could be fixed, i was quite worried the first time i saw all the feathers as i thought something had got in with her, i think another attack from anything would be just too much, she's eating well and drinking, and seems ok in herself, so fingers crossed she'll be ok, thanks again.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 22:27 »
Awwww TMG,

Wish I was one of your hens! Be spoilt rotten! :lol:  :lol:

xx
Hen Losing Feathers

Started by WoodyK on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 19:00
by WoodyK
xx
Losing Feathers

Started by stamford on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 22:29
by Foxy
xx
losing feathers

Started by Mitchf on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 09:36
by joyfull
xx
losing feathers

Started by lyndyloo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 16:59
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 35 queries.