trading down a brand

• 30 Replies

wighty

trading down a brand
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 20:58 »
Please Aunty, I was going to go the geeks at PC World to learn how to do a  'quote', we've tried by experimenting on our own but failed dismally.  Â£25 for 15 mins.  I only wanted to quote part of a post.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
trading down a brand
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 21:10 »
Hit the 'quote' button above the post you wish to quote. Anything you don't want to appear, highlight & delete.

Then carry on typing your reply.

Click 'preview' to see what it looks like, then 'submit' if it's OK.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

poultrygeist

trading down a brand
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 21:14 »
The important bits are within the [quot]and [/quot] (mispelled) at each end of the quote. Make sure they are still intact and if you accidentally delete them, just type them back in.

iwantanallotment

trading down a brand
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 01:44 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

That's more or less what I do Derek.  Gravey granules are disgusting after that.  I use Knorr stock cubes - even top chef's use them  :roll:

Same here, Aunt Sally. Gravy is always Oxos/Knorr (depending if meat or poultry), meat juices, veg water & flour. My nan gave me the recipe many moons ago, it had been her mother's recipe too, and we all loved having dinner at Nan's just for her gravy - we didn't care what else we got :lol:
And for soups (turkey & sweetcorn, chicken & leek etc) it has to be Knorr cubes. BUT, saying that, Aldi's 29p for 12 chicken cubes are good too, and very like Knorr! I made a wonderful turkey gravy with them this past Sunday, and a very tasty soup the next day.
NOT so for Tesco's own :pukel: They were nasty and not worth the saving.
As for cheap brands, Asda's economy "Smart Price" sausages are now 16p for 8  :shock:  Won't vouch for their quality, though! Only Richmonds here - no chewy bits  :D

dereklane

• Experienced Member
trading down a brand
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 07:22 »
no chewy bits
(I feel like I've sold out with all this quoting...

The chewy bits are the only bits that come from an animal - that's how you can tell you got a meat sausage and not a veg one :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
trading down a brand
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 07:56 »
Quote from: "iwantanallotment"
Only Richmonds here - no chewy bits  :D

They're the ones that fill your roasting tin with an inch of fat if you oven cook them!

I'll NOT trade down from our local butcher's sausage!

compostqueen

trading down a brand
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:46 »
I buy good bangers for my B & B.  Sausages which have taste  :D   Thankfully there are some very good ones to be had.  I search for sossies everywhere I go. Sad but true  8)

crowndale

trading down a brand
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 13:47 »
i'm a bit of a snob too and for beans and tinned spag it has to be heinz, same with ketchup, the others just don't taste the same.  soaps are usually branded but only becoz i have tried most types and found persil and fairy to irritate the least (sensitve skin!).
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Gwiz

trading down a brand
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 05:59 »
Quote from: "DD."

I'll NOT trade down from our local butcher's sausage!

I'm 100% with you there.
our local butcher's sausages are far better than anything I've tasted from the supermarkets. :D

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
trading down a brand
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 16:59 »
Lidls copy of the Twix chocolate bar are great ~ cant remember the name but they are in a red packet!!:thumright:

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Oscar Too

trading down a brand
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 18:16 »
Make your own baked beans!!!?**!!!!

Honestly, you'll never eat tinned beans again.  

Soak your dried haricots overnight, cook til soft, fry an onion and some garlic, add the beans, add a tin of toms (chopped or blended), some curry powder, a bit of spicy sausage, tbs of treacle, bake in the oven for an hour or two.

OK it's more faff than opening a tin, but they taste good!

dereklane

• Experienced Member
trading down a brand
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 21:44 »
I do homemade beans too, and more or less the same way, minus the sausage and curry (nice touch though), and they are great. They taste like a meal you're happy to call a meal, rather than a poor substitute when you can't be bothered.

But, the soaking/cooking takes a while (though if you're organised, the soaking doesn't really factor in).

DD.

• Global Moderator
trading down a brand
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 08:27 »
I don't normally do this, but I was starving hungry, so went to the corner shop & bought a pack of W**l's sausage.

Cooked 4 of them in the oven.

Drained off 33g of liquid fat.

Gone off me breakfast!

fluffybunny

trading down a brand
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 10:45 »
Interesting (albeit in a daily mail type way) article on the cheapy sossies etc:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/femail/article-1024764/The-battle-bangers-Asdas-2p-sausages-rest.html

Personally I buy mine from the local slaughterhouse, I know full well that they put all the end bits from decent cuts of meat in there, not all that mechanically recovered stuff.

I have traded down washing powders to ecoballs now, much better,  cheaper and you can do shorter, cooler washes so all round a winner!

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
trading down a brand
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 21:58 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
soaps are usually branded but only becoz i have tried most types and found persil and fairy to irritate the least (sensitve skin!).

Try Ecover, I've got really sensitive skin  :roll:  and it doesn't affect me at all!!!! Plus it lasts forever!!!!!!!!!
herbiegrowsbananas

xx
Brand new slow cooker £5.00

Started by Madame Cholet on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post September 10, 2014, 06:56
by Madame Cholet
xx
"Verve" brand dried chicken manure.

Started by JayG on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 16:29
by JayG

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.