Indoor herbs infected with?

• 8 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Indoor herbs infected with?
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:50 »
I have a number of potted herb plants on my kitchen window ledge, I noticed the coriander plant has been infected with small flies and its offspring. The flies are small and black but the youngsters appear to be white. There is also a fine layer of what looks like fly body casings building up, I think the younger white flies are shedding their skins. Also, there is a sticky residue now covering the plant.

I threw out the coriander plant and cleaned up as best I could but have noticed the flies have moved on to my parsley plant.

Anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them?
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

compostqueen

Re: Indoor herbs infected with?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:55 »
the plants prefer to be outdoors or they end up covered with aphids. The sticky stuff comes from the aphids

You could get rid of the compost and repot them

I use to stand a Vapona block near my windowsill herbs which would keep them aphid free,  but for some reason, know only to the EC, these have now been vetoed. You can still get some window stick on jobs so you could try one of those  :)

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:59 »
Herbs for me always go better just outside the kitchen window rather that inside. Flies and bugs seem to grow this side of the glass but the cold and rain keeps em off outside. Switch to outside growing it keeps the kitchen tidier and cleaner says the OH anyway.
Bonne chance for the outside herbs. :)
Mad Mark

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:03 »
Cheers guys, I will move them outside.

I do keep most of my herbs outside, its just easier grabbing the fresh parsley indoors, we use so much of it. I adore flat leaf parsley, it goes on everything, except my porridge... ermmmm, I wonder...  :closedeyes:

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:07 »
I love flat leaf parsley, the Italian Giant one is delish, but a tad big for the windowsill  :blush:

Speaking of porridge, I was so intent on the telly this morning that I got a lapful of porridge and only realised it when I burnt me leg  :ohmy:  :tongue2:

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:15 »
Ouch!

I have discovered a yummy porridge, Tesco Organic Oats in a 750g pack. These larger oats benefit from being left to soak in cold milk for about ten minutes before cooking, it softens them up, deffo worth a look CQ if like me, you like your oats in the morning.  ;)

Gardeningguru

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11 »
I have a number of potted herb plants on my kitchen window ledge, I noticed the coriander plant has been infected with small flies and its offspring. The flies are small and black but the youngsters appear to be white. There is also a fine layer of what looks like fly body casings building up, I think the younger white flies are shedding their skins. Also, there is a sticky residue now covering the plant.

I threw out the coriander plant and cleaned up as best I could but have noticed the flies have moved on to my parsley plant.

Anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them?

These flies, are they very small??  If so they are probably harmless Fungus Gnats.  They won't do any harm and are common in houseplants.  Let the top soil layer dry out, and you will start to impact their population.  They lay their eggs in the damp surface, deprive them of that, and you will kill them off. (mostly).

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 22:45 »
I hate those little black flies but got some sticky greenhouse paper and put on a stick in one of the pots.  It does some of the getting rid of them but not all.  They are handy on the kitchen windowsill.  I have lemon basil,  basil same pot as lemon, dill, chervil and parsley.  But the sticky yellow sheet is a bit of a pain gets stuck to the leaves, my hand (ouch painfull to get off) and my hair if lean to close.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 22:58 »
Ouch!

I have discovered a yummy porridge, Tesco Organic Oats in a 750g pack. These larger oats benefit from being left to soak in cold milk for about ten minutes before cooking, it softens them up, deffo worth a look CQ if like me, you like your oats in the morning.  ;)

I'll 2nd that they are yummie and i don't soften the grains...i like a bit of rough in the morning :lol:

xx
What to do with infected carrots?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 11:00
by Salmo
xx
Infected Manure

Started by pol and mick on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 23:20
by pol and mick
xx
blight on infected ground overwintering?

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 17:33
by goodegg
xx
What to plant in area suffered from blight infected tomatoes last season

Started by elliottk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 19:14
by elliottk

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 40 queries.