Second chance ?

• 2 Replies

Cleo

• Experienced Member
Second chance ?
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:46 »
About five weeks ago and in a spirit of optimism I sowed a fresh batch of Kelvedon wonder. The seedlings have reached about  20 cm size and I already have some pods on them. Is this usual at this time of year ?
Will they keep growing even though they are fruiting ? Am I likely to get any decent results from them or is it just too late this year ?

Sorry lots of questions....I'm like a three year old...only with a mortgage, ironing pile,allotment and big daisy covered wellies :-)

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Second chance ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 14:38 »
I am in my first year of being an allotmenteer so am definitely no expert but I sowed some Kelveden wonder quite late too probably around three/four weeks ago as it said you could on the packet.  I have pea pods which I have started harvesting and to be honest think they are far sweeter than my other peas which we have now dug in as they had virtually given up.  My understanding is that they will continue to grow especially if the weather improves which I have noticed seems to be indicated in the next week or so.  So maybe a good September instore for us all.  :D   Sorry I know I probably haven't answered your question and someone far more experienced will put us both in the picture soon.
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Second chance ?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 14:53 »
Early varieties can be grown later, and as long as the weather is favourable (HA!), can be harvested into the autumn.  This also means you miss the dreaded pea moth.
On the sad side, you may get powedery mildew, which is what happened to mine planted at the end of July.  Out of about 450 seeds I got about 10 plants and maybe three pods!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Took a chance

Started by Barry C on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2017, 08:01
by Barry C
xx
celeriac 2nd chance

Started by svenrufus on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 16:44
by Jodie A
xx
Spuds ...what chance have they got?

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 16:14
by Plottered
xx
whats the chance of

Started by gimli on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 00:30
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 35 queries.