What's all this hard work for?????

• 24 Replies

wendycas

What's all this hard work for?????
« on: July 07, 2013, 20:16 »
Had a little negative moment today when weeding-yes, I know we all feel like that when weeding-but as well as finding ants in a bed, as we had slogged for a few hours of weeding (plus most days last week) I happened to look over to our neighbour's plot and saw lovely neat rows of healthy looking potatoes-weed-free! Now we are there most days to water, weed etc....plus giving feeds to the plants regularly and our neighbour (although very nice and friendly) turns up occasionally to water and have never seen him weed this year.

So unless he is secretly coming on the allotment at night-how is it that lack of care can produce such seemingly good results??? :unsure:

Just a bit disheartening!!

al78

Re: What's all this hard work for?????
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 20:23 »
I go up to my plot at night to do slug hunts, and will pull the occasional weed in the process.

Unless you are up there from sunrise to sunset every day, then how do you know that your neighbour isn't just up there when you are not?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 20:44 »
We go to at funny hours, between 5.30am and 8am and 7pm till maybe 9.30-10.00pm our site rep for the council always makes some rude comment about never seeing us. He goes home at tea time and thats that. I am going to put up a sign that says "weeding, work, and general building done by the allotment gnomes outside of working hours"

Believe me he must weed you obviously just miss him, plus maybe he has had his plot for a long time, the weeding does get slightly easier as the years tick by.  :D

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 20:58 »
I agree sometimes the work to do looks daunting, but I'm soooo over all the nice (victorian) rows and being jealous of the retired guys and comparing their plots to mine. 

It's a matter of style, Just do what you are able.  I don't do rows, more of a clump girl, me  ::)

I've got mulch everywhere (including my potatoes- I've not weeded them at all this year), cardboard boxes (on top of couch I don't have time to deal with) full of lasange beds with plants popped into weed sheeting,  Ikea net curtains strewn all over stuff and bits of netting and pole arrangements. But it's mine.  It's between me and God, and no one else's business to judge.
You do it your way hun, weed only what you have to and don't sweat the small stuff  :D

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 21:32 »
Don't worry about it Wendycas...are plot isn't as perfect as others around us but we still get positive comments from everyone on how well we're doing. You have to remember it isn't about perfection, it's about results! We look with slight envy at our neighbouring plots and how tidy they are but then remember that they're all mostly retired and have all day if they want.

The other thing is that if they've been working that plot for a few years, they've had a massive head start on the weeding! The more you weed, the less come back!

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 21:55 »
All this hard work is for all the lovely veg you are going to get to eat  :D 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 21:57 »
Saddo that I am, I find weeding quite relaxing  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 21:59 »
I do now. I used to hate it but now like you I find the chance to empty my head and completely give in to weeding is very calming. I keep the weeds behind me so I can't see the extent of the job  :D  You know it needs doing and that when it's done you will feel really pleased with the work. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 22:07 »
That's exactly how I feel BQ  :D

I think from reading your posts, you are hyperactive like me with a million plans running round in your head and a huge list of 'stuff to do'.  Slowing down and enjoying a simple job like weeding can be a real pleasure  :)

seaside

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 22:13 »
One thing to remember about any form of land management is that the Spring and sowing season sees vibrant green crop growth with little disease and even the most pessimistic feel hopeful. Come the business end of the process, weeds go mad, nature gets hairy, pests and disease can suddenly run riot, some crops seasonably disappoint regardless of effort, and it's all too easy to lose heart.

As for other folks' efforts, it's a pointless exercise to compare. But if a plot appears well maintained then you can bet the people are putting in the hours at some time or other. There's no free lunch where allotments are concerned, there just isn't.
As for weeds, I believe the way forward is regular and often. Maybe half an hour on every visit.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 22:23 »
But if a plot appears well maintained then you can bet the people are putting in the hours at some time or other.

Or have as well over previous years. This is where you hard work now will pay off later. One year's seed = seven years weeds and all that.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

snow white

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 22:41 »
I now enjoy weeding as I do as bit every day so it isn't mad.  I try not to compare other peoples allotments to mine and feel genuinely happy for all their successes.  I am always really pleased when I can cook a meal with all my veggies - never mind they are not perfect - they are mine.  I have successes and failures but I am happy with the smallest success.   :D. Just try to enjoy the process and all your achievements however small.  Take a small list of things to do each day.  As long as it involves caring for your plants you are doing great.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 22:43 »
I agree sometimes the work to do looks daunting, but I'm soooo over all the nice (victorian) rows and being jealous of the retired guys and comparing their plots to mine. 

It's a matter of style, Just do what you are able.  I don't do rows, more of a clump girl, me  ::)

I've got mulch everywhere (including my potatoes- I've not weeded them at all this year), cardboard boxes (on top of couch I don't have time to deal with) full of lasange beds with plants popped into weed sheeting,  Ikea net curtains strewn all over stuff and bits of netting and pole arrangements. But it's mine.  It's between me and God, and no one else's business to judge.
You do it your way hun, weed only what you have to and don't sweat the small stuff  :D
your plot sounds like mine tring cardboard this year finding its working well so far
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

wendycas

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 23:52 »
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. We do really enjoy our allotment. It's just we've let the weeds get a bit out of hand so we definitely need to do a little but more often....and enjoy the process more!  :blush:

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 00:01 »
we've let the weeds get a bit out of hand

You should have seen our neighbours plot this morning...you literally couldn't see the crops for the 4' high weeds!

xx
Hard Work Paying Off

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 10:55
by SalB
xx
phew - hard work!

Started by MuddyDoris on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 20:30
by operabunny
xx
Hard manure...

Started by Cavolo Nero on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 11:32
by Cavolo Nero
xx
Peas gone hard

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:13
by teflon

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 39 queries.