Getting started for the new growing season

• 24 Replies

Eblana

Getting started for the new growing season
« on: December 14, 2012, 14:53 »
My daughter has decided that I am now officially barking mad!!  :lol:

I was saying last night that I was excited that there was only 3 weeks left until the New Year - she assumed I meant until our New Years Eve festivities and nearly choked when I told her that my excitement was about planting my first seeds of the new growing season :D

I have Tomato, Pepper, Aubergine and Onion seed on standby for planting first week in 2013 together with my Sweet Potato in water waiting for it to sprout.  Is there anything else I can get started in a heated propogator and/or a heated bench in a greenhouse?

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
Re: Getting started for the new growing season
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 15:09 »
While the answers are being formulated can you include early starts for those without heated greenhouses.  I only have a polythene mini greenhouse, sufficient for about 8 seed trays, or 100 3" pots.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 15:53 »
While the answers are being formulated can you include early starts for those without heated greenhouses.  I only have a polythene mini greenhouse, sufficient for about 8 seed trays, or 100 3" pots.

No early starts for you then, sorry :(

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 16:24 »
I like to do my geranium seeds on Boxing Day  ;)  I might do aubs in Jan and maybe some hardy salad and or oriental leaves for cut and come again eating but I think it's a good idea to sit on your hands.  Sowing too early will end in tears

What would you do with all those tender seedlings when you can't do anything with them  because it's too cold in the unheated greenhouse but too warm in the house. Light levels are so low that they fail to thrive so you end up starting all over again. Be guided by the instructions on the packets about sowing times  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 16:26 »
I like to do my geranium seeds on Boxing Day  ;)  I might do aubs in Jan and maybe some hardy salad and or oriental leaves for cut and come again eating but I think it's a good idea to sit on your hands.  Sowing too early will end in tears

What would you do with all those tender seedlings when you can't do anything with them  because it's too cold in the unheated greenhouse but too warm in the house. Light levels are so low that they fail to thrive so you end up starting all over again. Be guided by the instructions on the packets about sowing times  ;)

and if you do manage to get anything to survive and it looks healty, it will rapidly outgrow any indoor spaces you might have long before it is safe to plant them out..

Sit on those hands  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 16:40 »
I did start to type all of the above things, but my diary tells me that I started my 'early tomato experiment' in January last year (they did really well for me) and the Aubs and chillis weren't that far behind - so couldn't very well tell anyone else not to do it, could I  :blush:
Onions are often sown on Boxing day to try to get large bulbs - it's whether you can keep them cool but frost-free after germination.

So as long as you realise that these early sowings can easily fail - then a few seeds here and there may 'scratch the itch' for you LOL

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 19:17 »
I'll be starting onions from seed around the second week of January - on an indoor windowsill

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 19:28 »
I started tomatoes early last year as an experiment along with others.

As said, they take a lot more looking after and unless you want to waste your fuel bill heating up the greenhouse, you will have to find space in the house for them.

The ones I sowed later overtook the early ones and I won't bother this year. You can make up for the lack of heat, but making up for the lack of light is, in my opinion, best left to the show growers and not for us who grow to eat.

I will only be sowing onions early, which don't need it so warm.

As said, sowing early can end in tears, and it's something best left to more experienced growers. To have a bad experience early in your gardening experience can easily put newcomers off.

Please don't start too early, or encourage others to do it. Us battle weary mods have seen it year on year and we've had enough of the tears.

Sorry - one slight amendment to what I've said. I will be starting a few cauliflowers off early, but they don't have the heat requirements of tomatoes etc., in fact they hate it.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 19:36 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shoozie

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 21:38 »
one slight amendment to what I've said. I will be starting a few cauliflowers off early, but they don't have the heat requirements of tomatoes etc., in fact they hate it.

What cauliflower are you trying DD - how early is early?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 21:45 »
Early January. I've sown "Nautilus" in the past, but I've run out of seed, so it'll be "Clapton" or "Snowball" this time.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 21:48 by DD. »

allot2learn

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 22:01 »
Even with the bast laid plans, I bet I'll forget to sow something. I always do.

Lottiman

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 22:04 »
Even with the bast laid plans, I bet I'll forget to sow something. I always do.

Yep me to,always manage it every year! :D

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 22:29 by mumofstig »
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

shoozie

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 22:17 »
thanks.  The only one I have from your list is snowball, but have never tried an early sowing.  Any chance you can say what you plan to do .... Just for my reasearch purposes of course !  Thanks  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 22:22 »
The usual.

One seed per cell in a seed tray insert. (The 20 to a half-seed tray size). Placed in frost-free greenhouse.

When they have their second leaf, they're potted on into 3" pots and planted into final positions when about 6" high, with a handful of lime in each hole.

Snowball's good - they are an early variety, my packet actually says to sow from January onwards
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 22:24 by DD. »

shoozie

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 23:00 »
thanks for that DD  I have the el-cheapo pack of snowball from lidl that is a bit vague about sowing indoors.  A frost free greenhouse that early is my failing as I only have a paraffin heater that can only used from April due to cost.   There were quite a few sad tales last year of people's early leggy sowings indoors and in airing cupboards. 

I started some brassicas in March last year - indoors then moved into greenhouse.  Might try a pinch a week or so earlier to experiment only  :) thanks  ;)

xx
2019 Growing season started.... :)

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 04, 2019, 09:01
by DHM
xx
New growing season

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 18:04
by rowlandwells
xx
How do you plan your growing season?

Started by fluffstermum on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 23:26
by fluffstermum
xx
The Vegetables that I am growing this season.........

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 07:41
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 40 queries.