I need chicken help!

• 15 Replies

chelsap

• I am completely in love with my feathered friends!
I need chicken help!
« on: June 15, 2010, 23:52 »
Hey Everyone,
   I am new to the board and new to owning chickens.  My fiance and I decided to get a few chickens early this year from a retail store.  Later we attended an auction where we got 3 chickens, all Polish Crested hens.  The one hen (Cocoa) was smaller than the other two so we assumed that she was younger than the others we bought and didn't think much about it until she was home and in the coop.  We tend to spend a lot of time out with the chickens and noticed in the next couple days that we had Cocoa that she was coughing and sneezing.  We got a hold of a local vet that told us to use tetracycline in their water and to treat the whole flock because he figured it was a chicken cold and the others could pick it up easily.  Anyways, Cocoa goes through stages, where she seems to get better and then she declines.  Our area has seen a lot of rain in the last 2 weeks.  Our coop is built from wood with a tin covered roof.  The wood got enough rain that it began to seep in one area.  Sunday morning when I went out to turn the chickens out Cocoa was laying over on the wet area, drenched, and wouldn't get up.  I brought her into the house and wrapped her in a towel and blowed dried her.  Got a box set-up with a heat lamp and called the vet.  He told me to up the antibiotic and make sure she kept drinking and eating...over the last couple days she has continued to eat and drink on her own, but she isn't able to stand and seems VERY weak.  She's also having problems elimanting and has pasty butt a lot of the time.  I dont know if thats because of the amount of anitbiotic or if she's just really sick this time.  But I check her vent several times daily and make sure to keep her cleaned up.  Last night when I was holding her I tried to get her to stand, she's holding her right leg and wing funny.  I am begining to wonder if maybe she didn't have a stroke, and thats why she didn't move out of the water in the first place.  You can move the leg and wing in any direction and she wont pull them back toward her body instinctively like she does with her left side.  When you hold her out away from you and act like your going to stand her on her feet on the ground she spreads her left foot out normally but the right foot just hangs there slightly closed.  I have felt the wing and leg all over and moved them this way and that way and she doesn't seem to have any discomfort in them and isn't in pain.  The main thing that makes me think that she's lost feeling on her right side is because of last night.  She's active and wants attention, so she pivoted in her box with her good leg so she could see me and rolled her right wing underneath her body.  She didn't even notice that it had happened just kept scooting closer to me without moving the wing.  Something has obviously happened with the nerves on that side.  I called the vet that we've been talking to this morning and he said that he can't help us because he doesn't know much of anything about birds.  We live in Nebraska and I can't find a single vet that still does Avian work.  I must not be looking in the right place.  If anyone has any information and knows of a vet that I could call to even talk to about whats going on I would greatly appreciate it.  I know that it might be just a chicken but we love them and it's hard watching her the way she is.  We want to make sure that there isn't anything possible that we can do for her before we even consider alternate options.  Cocoa is very loving and really is a wonderful little hen...it would kill us to have to have her put down.  Thank you all in advance!!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: I need chicken help!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 00:02 »
Hi Chelsap, I am not an expert on chicken diseases, but when you mention her lack of feeling in leg and wing, does it sound like this?

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/90/mareks-disease

Can't help with vets in the USA I'm afraid, as most of us are in the UK.  Do you have a government vet service that can perhaps tell you where your nearest avian vet is? 

Oh and welcome to the forums, in particular the chicken forums.  I hope you get help for your girl soon.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 00:05 »
hello and welcome. Sorry your first posting to us is such a sad one  :(.
Have you tried contacting anybody on this site:-

http://www.ampltya.com/

they are the American poultry association - they may be able to help you find a vet who could talk to you about Cocao, also get in touch with the breeder/seller to see if they can help. They are never "just chickens" in our eyes they are part of our family and we love them just the same as we do our other pets xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Trisha

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:28 »
Hi Chelsap, I'm sorry I cant offer advice but welcome to the forum and best wishes to you and your chickens and I hope Cocoa is back to full health very soon x

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:34 »
I hope you manage to find a vet as I think she needs to see one

My hen hurt her wing (fox) and it hung down on the floor. Vet said that the hen uses a muscle to keep the wing by her side.  If injured it would take time to heal. My hen was given a pain killer and an anti-inflammatory.  The hen can manage without the wing if for some reason it didn't heal.  My bird's wing took less than a week

A vet would be able to say one way or the other if it was injury or something else

Good luck with it all  :)

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:49 »
I am afraid i cannot help with a vet in the USA but you obviously love you chickens a lot so hope you can get some help soon. Sending ((((hugs)))).

chelsap

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 05:29 »
Thank You All So Much!!!
   I have looked into the Marek's Disease.  My biggest concern was spreading but no one else in the coop seems to be having any problems.  And from everything that I have read it sounds like this happens if the chick wasn't vaccinated and is brought on by most any strain of herpes virus.  As a concern for the rest of our flock we are continuing to give the antibiotic to EVERYONE!  We haven't had Cocoa but a few months...and she's been touch and go until now.  I just feel horrible because we simply cannot find a vet.  I have scoured the internet and have found listings for several but when you call they say the avian vet isn't working there anymore.  I will keep looking!!!
Cocoa is improving a little and is stable.  She's still eating and drinking on her own, I gave her some scrambled eggs tonight in hopes that the protein from the egg would help with the weakness.  She's on a 16% laying hen feed and they recieve greens and organic table scraps everyday.  Everyone else seems to be thriving, I think we may have just gotten a sickly hen.  :(  For the last several days we've dealt with pasty butt issues but she is clean tonight and I spotted her standing up a few times this afternoon.  So maybe we are on the mend...I am just hoping that we're not patching her up again only to find out it is Marek's Disease.  As I read there is no cure for it...as with most any chicken dieseases.   :( 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:10 »
fingers crossed for you and her xxx

chelsap

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 02:52 »
The phrase "It gets better before it gets worse" has never been more true.  This morning when Ryan and I woke up Cocoa was doing fine, very sleepy and didn't want to stay awake for breakfast without prompting.  Anyways I checked on her shortly before taking off for work and noticed that she was laying differently than she ever has before.  I went to move her and realized that our girl had passed away.  The hope that things were on the mind and her efforts to move about yesterday had us hopeful.  We're going to miss our Cocoa.   

Trisha

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 09:15 »
So sorry to read to your sad news.  R.I.P. Cocoa

chuckmad

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 09:52 »
Big Hugs to you. At least she'll be happy in the big chicken run in the sky.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 11:35 »
Oh Chelsap I am sorry,  :(  hope the other girls will be fine though!

Hawkins

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 16:27 »
sorry for your loss. big hugs from here
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 22:32 »
Same here :(

Spider :(

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 08:20 »
Oh how sad :( sending you big ((((((((((hugs))))))))))) and keeping my fingers crossed that the others will be ok  :)

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
i got a new chicken... well two actually :)

Started by babe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 20:33
by Jellyhead
xx
Sad chicken - help please!

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 09:51
by Bonniebean
xx
Chicken in a box

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 15:24
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 40 queries.