companion planting didn't work

• 4 Replies

Sue32

• Experienced Member
companion planting didn't work
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:21 »
I planted nasturtiums all round my braod beans - but guess what - the black fly are all over the beans and the nasturtiums are nice and clean. 
Fortunately OH has just realised how nice nasturtium flowers are, so maybe he wont miss teh BBs  :nowink:
trying to be green except when blue

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
Re: companion planting didn't work
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:45 »
Thats a shame, I have just taken on an allotment and am slightly concerned if my neighbours use chemicals as I dont want the spray getting onto my produce.  I grow organically and use companion planting at home - onions/garlic around carrots seem to work.  I also use net curtains to protect my few cabbages from catapliers.

We are usually overrun with blackfly in our garden, its more of a problem and very prolific than slugs/snails and any other pest - at times I feel like tearing my hair out and give up with shear dispair but then this year my clematis which was covered last year is totally free of blackfly this year.

When I get my crops in next year I am going to buy ladybird lave etc... to help fight the battle of the blackfly!

OVP x

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 13:13 »
I thought nasturtiums were to attract cabbage whites - mine are covered with caterpillars and the brassicas next to them are caterpillar free.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 13:29 »
Dare I say this year there is hardly any BB, however we have noticed last night a massive amount of ladybird nymph, I wondering if we are going to get plagued like 76, that was the year ehh!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 16:08 »
Thats odd because my nasturtiums have done the trick especially the ones in the greenhouse with toms, chillis and peppers.  I use both marigold and nasturtiums, my broad beans still have blackfly on them but so do the nasturtiums.

I also spotted ladybird larvae last night and the night before - hopefully they'll move into the houses we built for them over the winter.

xx
Companion planting ... will any variety work ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2014, 12:21
by sunshineband
xx
companion planting

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 22:19
by Flump
xx
Companion planting.

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 22:16
by Trillium
xx
companion planting

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 20:13
by LilacSandy

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 33 queries.