How do I know the age of a chicken?

• 7 Replies

Neelam

How do I know the age of a chicken?
« on: October 23, 2013, 13:19 »
Hi, I wonder when getting started, how do I know I am not going to get old chickens as I don't want to start with young chicks off heat due to a lack of experience. I know with some birds you can tell their age by checking their beak's skin. How about hens?

And not to start a third thread...

I've seen not one ready built coop where the perches are higher then the nest boxes. Is there a certain reason for that as in self built hen houses you find often pictures with higher perches.

Thanks again!
Neelam

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: How do I know the age of a chicken?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 13:49 »
It is difficult to gauge the age of a pullet (under 1 year) or even a hen (over 1 year) unless you are getting them when they are only a few months old.  The younger they are when you get them you are risking getting landed with cockerel/s as some breeds are really hard to tell before they mature.

Once you have decided what breed you are wanting I would recommend searching photos on the internet that gives you pictures of the breed and their age.  You will soon get some idea on what they should look like at a certain age.  Younger pullets that are not yet laying will have pale combs and wattles but this can also be the case when a hen is moulting or even unwell.   ::)  The more research you do the better, sites advertising poultry usually have plenty of variety of ages and photos so that might be a good place to start.

If you are choosing a pure breed rather than hybrid you might be better getting in touch with the breeders club where you should get some advice.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 14:02 »
Re the perch issue, the perches should be higher than the nest boxes, even if only by a small margin, as chickens will try and roost at the highest point, for safety.

In my hen house the nest boxes are at practically the same height as the perch and one hen used to insist on sleeping in there until I blocked it off at night (there was another nest box further away from the perch but she didn't bother with that). She now roosts on the perch with the other 2.

Try and get one where the nest box is lower than the perch if you are able to as they will leave droppings if they do sleep in the nest box and you don't want that coming into contact with any eggs. Having said that, as with my hens, you should be able to teach them where to go if this isn't possible!
Helen

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 16:31 »
I used to have one hen that insisted on perching on the nest box and not in it. How she managed it I don't know because it had a sloping roof! It was so comical watching her trying to climb on it of an evening. She woud not use the perches, but she would always be on the roof in the mornings asleep when I let them out. Wonderful, aren't they :D

Neelam

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 16:21 »
 :D  yes, sounds really like a feathered clown...

So thank you for your advise! I have decided to start out with Hybrids rather than the pure breed as this way I get both my favorite breeds in one... (Light Sussex and Rhode Island Reds)  :wub:

And concerning the coop is what I thought, the perch should be higher. My grandmother used to have at a time and their nest boxes where almost floor level, bit higher, but the perches on the opposite side and much higher.

Thanks!
Neelam

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58 »
Light Sussex do come as a pure breed :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Neelam

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 21:42 »
I know, Light Sussex and Rhode Island Reds, too, as pure Breed, but according to the book "Backgarden Chickens" the Bovan Goldlines are a Hybride from both breeds. As I couldn't decide which ones I like more (especially with having two little children) I thought, this way I might get even the best of both breeds...  ::)

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 10:49 »
I see what you mean :)

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
chicken run

Started by JMF on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 21:10
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chicken ...no more

Started by u looking at me on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 17:40
by hillfooter
sad
ill chicken

Started by Rita on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 05:46
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 38 queries.