chicken feed

• 3 Replies

ciderman

chicken feed
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:31 »
hi all new to keeping hens the hens iv got were only ever fed laying mash  what els can they have and whats not good for them  thanks bob

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Re: chicken feed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 19:02 »
Layers mash (or pellets) is all they need ... but they'll enjoy different things for a bit of variety, but only as treats so they still eat their mash. If they free range, they'll enjoy eating grass and other plants as well as insects, and as a result their egg yolks will improve, so if they don't free range, try offering them greens or short cut grass ... mine won't eat greens but love peas!  :lol:
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

ciderman

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 20:50 »
thanks beulah59  they r in a pen so not totaly free range  will try them on soom greens for a treat   thanks bob

chooksbury

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 21:10 »
If they don't take to the greens straight away, try spoiling them by chopping some baby spinach (bought in bags as salad from the supermarket for about a pound a pop) up with the scissors for them.  That gave mine the taste for greenery.  Then suspend a cabbage on a chain or rope for them to peck at.  They'll love nomming it and will get vast amounts of entertainment from doing so.  Another tip is if I'm giving mine a hot mash for a cold morning .. (just adding a little hot water to their pellets so they go mushy .. perhaps a pinch of poultry spice, a tablespoon of mixed corn and a few raisins)  I keep a bag of frozen spinach in.  It's pelleted into little blobs and I just thaw three out (one per bird) and stir it into the mash.  Mine used to be very fussy eaters, but this got them going on bits of apple, sweetcorn, peas, spring greens.  Still don't like brussel sprouts though.  perhaps it makes them pong up the lenham  :tongue2: The main thing is that they eat their layers ... so the porridge made with them ensures a good crop full to start a cold day.  Incidentally, mine free range if I'm home, but dont if Im not.

xx
Chicken feed

Started by VP on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2020, 20:44
by grinling
xx
chicken feed!

Started by Penny Finn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 12:43
by Vember
xx
chicken feed

Started by russell34 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 01:32
by IMOmimey
thumbdown
chicken feed

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 15:50
by phil-c

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 38 queries.