Getting started for the new growing season

• 24 Replies

Trillium

Re: Getting started for the new growing season
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 04:20 »
Onions and shallots for me right after new year, and my sweet potato. Most of the rest can wait until early March.

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 19:26 »
For me its garlic on boxing day

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 10:36 »
One seed per cell in a seed tray insert. (The 20 to a half-seed tray size). Placed in frost-free greenhouse.

When they have their second leaf, they're potted on into 3" pots and planted into final positions when about 6" high, with a handful of lime in each hole.

Some advice please oh cauli guru as this is one brassica I have yet too crack  :)  My early sowing last year didn't make it through the dry spring  :(

I have some small plants I sowed back in October.  They are in cells - 12 to a seed tray - at the mo.  I was going to pot on when they got a bit bigger and keep in the greenhouse to plant out this spring.  Is that the best bet?

I also have my onion seed ready for a Christmas sowing and some more caulies for January, but everything else will be waiting a lot longer.  Peppers and chillies inside in late Feb maybe  :)

Eblana

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 17:23 »
Would a heated bench (sand with a heat cable running through it) count as being frost free?  I also have a Vitapod propogator which has the high side walls on it c3 ft so I should be ok for some of the Tomatos etc.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 17:46 »
It's not just the soil that needs to be frost free, but the air as well. Whilst mature plants of things like onions and brassicas can stand frost, the seedlings won't - as Mrs Digger found out when she unplugged the supply to the greenhouse a couple of years ago! It was goodbye cauliflowers.

Re the high sided propagator, I'm not familiar with them, but heat won't make up for the lack of light. I can envisage the plants getting leggy in one of those attempting to get to it.

The bottom line is don't be in too much of a busting rush!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 17:49 »
Quote from: New shoot link=topic=100782.msg1121078#msg1121078

Some advice please oh cauli guru as this is one brassica I have yet too crack  :)  My early sowing last year didn't make it through the dry spring  :(

I have some small plants I sowed back in October.  They are in cells - 12 to a seed tray - at the mo.  I was going to pot on when they got a bit bigger and keep in the greenhouse to plant out this spring.  Is that the best bet?

Sorry, Sue, I missed this when you posted this. What you say sounds like a plan, in fact I can't see any viable alternative!

As you found out this year, more mature plants outside need plenty of water!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 18:28 by DD. »

Eblana

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 18:23 »
Thanks a million everyone

I have pulled back a bit on my over excitement.  Will just go with the few onion seeds and Cauli (snowball) seeds both of which were free with a magazine!! and try to get my sweet potato to start to sprout. 

I will sit down with Klaus laitenberger's great books over Christmas and work up a sowing plan based on his recommendations for the Irish Climate.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 18:28 »
I think that's the best course of action!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 21:09 »
I think that's the best course of action!

Awww yuss  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 21:12 »
Quote from: New shoot link=topic=100782.msg1121078#msg1121078

Some advice please oh cauli guru as this is one brassica I have yet too crack  :)  My early sowing last year didn't make it through the dry spring  :(

I have some small plants I sowed back in October.  They are in cells - 12 to a seed tray - at the mo.  I was going to pot on when they got a bit bigger and keep in the greenhouse to plant out this spring.  Is that the best bet?

Sorry, Sue, I missed this when you posted this. What you say sounds like a plan, in fact I can't see any viable alternative!

As you found out this year, more mature plants outside need plenty of water!

Thanks DD.  The packet seems to suggest starting them inside then planting out to overwinter, but that seemed a little rash given the sudden cold snap  :lol:  It is a variety you can sow autumn or Jan/Feb so the instructions try to cover both and are a bit confusing ::)

xx
2019 Growing season started.... :)

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 04, 2019, 09:01
by DHM
xx
New growing season

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 18:04
by rowlandwells
xx
The Vegetables that I am growing this season.........

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 07:41
by Rob the rake
xx
How do you plan your growing season?

Started by fluffstermum on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 23:26
by fluffstermum

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 40 queries.