First plan

• 24 Replies

gaztop

First plan
« on: August 05, 2013, 17:02 »
Hi all,

Please can you cast an eye over this novice first plan I have for our new allotment for next year. The whole plot is westerly facing and is in sun from 10am - sunset.

Will the raspberries block the sun from letting the garlic grow? Is there a better position to put it?
The rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries will stay in their positions for a few years but if I rotate the rest of the crop have I made any schooolboy errors?
The fruit bushes at the top already exist and are a mixture of blueberry, gooseberry and blackcurrant.

All replies welcome :)
allotment.jpg
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 17:06 by gaztop »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: First plan
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 17:11 »
The only things that hits me in the eye is the space for lettuces. You never need a huge planting at a time, it would be more than anyone can eat.......It's usual to plant a few and then a few more through the season, so they tend to go in gaps or places where you've just harvested something else from.

Likewise leeks, many people put them in when they've lifted their early potatoes - so they don't need a bed of their own  ;)

Are you not growing carrots or cabbage or french/runner beans?

There's an awful lot to think about  :nowink: ............. I keep altering my plan through winter - and it usually gets changed again when I come to actually plant what I've grown from seed  :wacko:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 17:14 »
no need for space for radishes they are so fast they fit anywhere  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 17:21 »
Beetroot, lettuce etc look very big spaces. You maybe drowning in beets at that rate, we have one 8x3 foot beet bed and we are harvesting 6lb odd a day most days

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 17:51 »
A fundemental mistake in my view is.... How do you get from one bed to another etc. without any paths?

I would get a centre pathway minimum of 18" wide then grow your veg in rows like a herring bone cottage garden style.. Then get builders planks as pathways between blocks of your veg. See my pic of mine below.. You need to get between everything to weed etc. If you have little blocks of veg dotted around the place you will get all sorts of veg competing for light etc. as well.

One would normally need more onions than beetroot, pumpkins are creepers so need to be along the fence, you only need 3 courgette plants, too many parsnips and radishes in comparison to other veg...unless you love them!! Lettuce need a small patch and successive planting..

IMG_0886L_rs.jpg
IMG_0422L_rs.jpg
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 18:07 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 18:06 »
How many courgette plants are you planning on having? The are prolific and produce plenty of courgettes on a weekly basis.

I have 2 plants and my family are sick of the site of them already.
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

gaztop

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 18:18 »
Great, thank you for the comments, re-think during the week!

Less lettuces, beetroot, add french beans, bit more swapping about!

Any thoughts on the position of the raspberries?

I like the idea of growing a variety of soft fruit, any suggestions on what else i can add?

Cheers

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 18:31 »
How about currants? Rd and white for eating, black for jam etc? Small fruit trees?

gaztop

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 19:03 »
What about adding a grape vine, would that be an option?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 19:23 »
Tayberries or loganberries are very tasty and can be grown on wires, so they won't take a bed in themselves, but could go along a border perhaps. Or an arch. You can put climbing french beans up structures too - trellis the shed for more growing space?

I bet you find the plan changes a lot before you get things in the ground....!  :lol: I put radishes in the furrows of the potatoes this year - not the best plan if you need to earth up more, but they were pretty quick to go in and out. I use beetroot as an inter-cropper too as it's fairly speedy and I don't need an awful lot of them. Are you planning to pickle a lot?

And are you including things like chillies or herbs? Or tomatoes?

gaztop

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 19:52 »
Okay, took the advice on board.
shortened the beetroot, parsnips, radishes and lettuce beds. added a blackberry (or tayberry) and grape vine (?longer term project!)

Added the leeks to replace the first early spuds, and added french beans.

I don't fancy growing carrots or cabbages in the first year. Should have enough space for 3 courgettes.

Is this revised plan good for companion and rotating planting?

Thanks all
allotment 2.jpg

gavinjconway

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 20:36 »
Too cluttered with small patches willy nilly... How are you going to get to each bed without standing on another? I'll do a plan and post for you on how I'd do it.

Blackberries / brambles are a weed and grow on fences.
Leeks need to be in long before your spuds are out.
Grape vine - I'd put it in the GH if you had one. Really you dont have space for it..
Pumpkin in a space of about 2x2 will be for 1 only.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 20:40 »
Its also worth thinking about how you are going to rotate the beds for the following year after?
Having similar sized beds and putting in happy companions makes rotating easier :)

gavinjconway

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 21:57 »
All taken care of here... You basically have just under a half plot so you can get loads in that. Also just think about growing what YOU want to eat... not what others say you must grow..

Rotations are important so as said above you need similar size blocks to move around.... the important ones are spuds not to follow spuds and the rest are ok if pushed for 2 years each. But its so simple to rotate using colour codes. There is more blue Lugumes and brassicas but don't worry - they can  be spaced anywhere..

Hope you like the more tidy plan.. more workable and just far easier to attend to. As I said above I get builders scaffold planks and place between rows to act as thin pathways so I don't compact the soil between the rows.

Remember all your brassicas need fine netting to stop the dreadded moths and butterflies laying their eggs which turn into mean leaf eating machines!!
gaztop plan.jpg
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 22:16 by gavinjconway »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 22:35 »
Too cluttered with small patches willy nilly... How are you going to get to each bed without standing on another? I'll do a plan and post for you on how I'd do it.
not everyone will want to do it your way.
Some people prefer patches of things  ;)
Blackberries / brambles are a weed and grow on fences
  mine are not weeds, I bought them and I planted them there!
Leeks need to be in long before your spuds are out
I don't agree with you there, as i posted above  :dry:

many people put them in when they've lifted their early potatoes - so they don't need a bed of their own 

xx
I have a plan...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 15:38
by Nicki85
xx
ok, plan B........

Started by lincspoacher on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 18:50
by lincspoacher
xx
Trying to plan

Started by Calou on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 14:15
by Calou
xx
what do you think to this plan...?

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 19:16
by Bombers

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 38 queries.