News from the refuge

• 312 Replies

Oliveview

Re: News from the refuge
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2015, 09:28 »
Since I last wrote here we have fostered 5 pups and their mum for just over a week, they went off to Barcelona,  where. 2 pups were reserved the day they arrived and mum and others  now adopted too.  We now have a puppy in our garage, he and his siblings were/are living under a prickly pear hedge. We tried to catch them the other night,  I got bitten and pood on! I had to let puppy go as the prickly pears were digging into my head! I had to get the other girl to pull it out of my head!! Last night they managed to catch one puppy 🐶 he is now in our garage until I know he is not ill.
Hopefully. They can catch the remaining 3 puppies,  if not, it will be a cage trap and food
Pamela
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 14:13 by Oliveview »

LotuSeed

« Reply #271 on: January 15, 2015, 12:18 »
The world could use a lot more people like you!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Oliveview

« Reply #272 on: January 17, 2015, 15:04 »
A volunteer and her husband managed to get the braver of the three remaining pups this morning, she  is the one that bit me, and another volunteer the other day.  :lol: She is now in our garage with Tintin, she has been named Snowy.  She is so gorgeous, and friendly- she was just scared the other day, she is pure white with a ginger ear.  Tintin and Snowy were pleased to see each other and were chasing about the garage together.  Hopefully later on today the other two will be caught, as heavy rain is due overnight and tomorrow. 
I hope they are found a home soon as 10 dogs here is too many!

Anyone want a cute Bodeguero type dog?  Good for ratting they say!

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #273 on: January 18, 2015, 21:02 »
We tried to get the last two puppies this evening but they were too deep inside the prickly pears. After an hour or so we called the fire brigade, they came along but by then it was too dangerous as it was getting dark, the thorns are huge and can rip you to shreds. We left the pups with the shelter another volunteer had built moved closer and covers inside.  The poor pups were soaking wet.  I just hope they have the sense to use the shelter.

Pamela

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2015, 16:22 »
I so admire your love and patience Pamela :)

Oliveview

« Reply #275 on: February 11, 2015, 19:37 »
WE HAVE 4 PUPPIES!!!!

What a weekend, we spent ages on Saturday, I went to see the vet and asked if it would be dangerous to give the pups a tranquiliser and catch them that way- he said no, it would be ok.  So Saturday I put a pill in each dish and sat and watched at a distance and both dogs went into the house and ate- we waited an hour and then went on the puppy hunt-  impossible with just me and Jim, so lovely Dani (the vet) and his fiancee the lovely Jenni came to help.  Dani managed to grab hold of the bigger puppy (yes he got bitten and pood on) we tried to get the smaller puppy- no chance she hid well.  So in the evening we left another pill, poor puppy was howling for her mate- she ate the meat with the pill-  but could we get her???  Gave up again.
Sunday:  got there early, she was about, but I did not want to chase her again, so just left some food and went back with another volunteer in the evening-  all ok.
Monday- Met a volunteer there in the evening-  saw puppy at a distance- discovered the shelter had been tipped up-  it was the back of an old TV covered in thick plastic and wired to a very heavy pallet- no way could it have blown over or another dog tipped it up.  It was obvious it was for a dog, there was bedding and a food dish inside.  We straightened it up and pushed it back into the prickly pears (I was cursing whoever tipped it up)  we went back to our cars and then a man appeared, he was collecting scrap metal-  I bet he was the person who tipped it up. 
Tuesday:  Went back in afternoon (Monday and Tuesday morning Jim had been with our neighbour who was getting a cataract op) Left the new pill and a half (she was going to go to sleep this time!!)  settled down to watch from a distance and a man appeared and started to cut the weeds and grass for a horse!  So puppy was scared off.  Removed the pill as by then it was not long until the galgos were let off on the field for their exercise. Left a small amount of food, so she would be hungry for today.
Wednesday:  Got there for 11.30-  thought she would be starving-  saw her running through the olive grove.  Left the pill in her house (pushed in) and went through the olive grove looking for her, but she had gone along the path and headed into the prickly pears (sure she was laughing at me hunting for her)  so I went across the field and sat under an olive tree where I could watch.  Then a lady and man arrive with their dog!!!  I ran across the field screaming NO NO I was worried the dog would eat the pill and a half!  The lady had noticed the puppy 2 days ago so had left food yesterday morning (no wonder she had not eaten my food yesterday!!) she had food and water for her today.  I said it was ok, I had left food with a pill in it.    I waited and waited-  she was sitting way away from the food-  so I moved it closer to where she was sitting-  HUH!  in the end I thought to hell and put it back in the house and me and Jim went to get a drink in town.  We got back and I went to check- she was sitting in the sun, I checked the house- food gone!!  So we sat and waited in the car for another 45 min.  I then sent a message to Jenni and she and Dani came to help us.  I had made a mark in the soil where I had last seen her.  There she was right in the middle of the prickly pears.  Dani dived right in and as a man appeared with his little dog (who had come from our refuge-  the dog was a screamer) there was screaming, we thought it was Toby!!  It was our puppy, Dani, he had hold of the pup by her back leg!!  She was doing her best to bite him- we could not get her into the carrier-  she tried to escape-  I grabbed her (got a small bite)  I gave Dani my coat and we covered her head with it and managed to get her into the carrier!!  So now we have 4 puppies in our garage-  they are outside in the day, just in there when we are out and at night.  The first two- Tintin and Snowy are friendly,  the 3rd one, Danny (after the vet) was thinking about being friendly this morning but now Jenny (after the fiancee Jenni) is here he is back hiding with her again. 
I am shattered-  but we have the puppies safe-  they cannot travel to a rescue until they have had their vaccinations, the first two will not be a problem,  the other 2  will be a little while until they come close!  Danny did venture in the house yesterday afternoon, so little by little we will win them over- with food!

Dani, the vet,  had knelt on a prickly pear,  he had a knee full of thorns!  Such a hero, he did not moan :D

Pamela

snowdrops

« Reply #276 on: February 11, 2015, 19:43 »
My word such perseverance from you all. Well done, & such a shame the pups don't know how lucky they are
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: February 11, 2015, 23:52 »
Blimey  :ohmy:

Well done all of you!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2015, 15:54 »
well done on sticking in there to get all 4 safe  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2015, 17:54 »
Pamela - you are a goddess! :D

Your passion for these dogs is amazing :)

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #280 on: February 12, 2015, 21:12 »
You are truly truly amazing! If only there were more kind caring and devoted people around like you. A true inspiration.
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

Aled

« Reply #281 on: February 13, 2015, 10:37 »
Well done oliveview.
Cheers
Aled

Oliveview

« Reply #282 on: February 23, 2015, 22:23 »
Another mum and her 3 newborn pups were rescued last weekend, they were living way down in a hollow tree trunk. Dani the vet managed to rescue them. One pup is very very tin,  the other 2 are fine.  Mum has a big lump where she had been hit.  She was starving and had killed 2 chickens,  the chicken owner was going to kill her.   Tonight another very pregnant dog has been found,  it goes on and on. Over 30 dogs have been taken in since January,  it is so depressing.  Today Jim and I saw a very thin young galgo,  but she ran off, I do not know what we would have done had we caught her. As I said,  so depressing

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2015, 15:50 »
Well a month has gone past since the last puppy Jenny arrived.  Danny and Jenny are still nervous but will lick our outstretched hands and jump all over us when we let them out of the garage. Tintin has been adopted, Jenny has a home to go to in the UK,  the same family are considering Snowy too. I must put some photos here for you to see our dogs!
So much for the dogs being here for 2 weeks tops!!
Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2015, 16:21 »
I will post the photos of our pups,  the Prickly Pear pups
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 16:28 by Oliveview »

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie
xx
When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

42 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 21:56
by shoozie
xx
2 refuge dogs off to new homes today

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 15:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.