Rabbits

• 7 Replies

chloe

• Experienced Member
Rabbits
« on: August 20, 2010, 15:12 »
My rabbit Beano is fine being picked up out of her pen but after i let her run around indoors she won't let me pick her up  :wacko: she loves being stroked but when you touch her sides she suddenly turns on me. How do i stop her from thinking i'm going to hurt her and let me pick her up without running away?
Many thanks

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Re: Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 15:40 »
I just got two RSPCA rabbits who have never been handled before, and we were told that they need to get used to you completely before they will be happy being picked up.
They said if you sit on the floor and ignore them and let them come investigate you it will help, and other than that you just have to persevere and keep picking them up every day and once you have them give them a treat so they associate being picked up with something good.
It seems to be working with mine, I have far fewer scratch marks now that I did a couple of weeks ago!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 15:44 »
Oky thank you, but i am still confussed because i have had her since she was a baby :/ So i don't know why she reacts that way  :wacko:

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 15:46 »
It might just be in her nature! I've seen very few rabbits that are completely okay with being handled, it's their natural instinct to run, and if they're high of the ground they panic.

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 15:48 »
Oh okay, it's a shame though because she gets aggresive most of the time i try and pick her up  :(

evie2

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 19:27 »
Hi Chloe,

We've had rabbits for the past 25 years, some were house rabbits. even they were a bit skittish at times.  They're sociable animals and need company and stimulation.  I think although they have runs outside it's still a bit restrictive and being inside there's more space, new smells and a lot more to investigate.  Bringing her into the house as much as possible, using treats can help and not 'chasing' her when it's time to go outside could help. Let us know how you get on :D

Grace
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 22:06 »
How old is Beano? Female rabbits mostly (not all before I get shouted at) get grumpy at about 2 years old. Its a hormonal thing. My lop loves being stroked, but mess in her cage and she tries to kill you, seriously grumpy. She grunts too as if to warn you away. THe only way around a grumpy female rabbit is to either breed her or get her spayed. Its not a happy rabbit, an unspayed female. They have phantom pregnancys and really struggle with their tempers. It may just be that Beano has reached the age when she no longer wants to be handled. If this is the case, get her done and she should be fine.
Another point to remember is the only time a rabbits all 4 feet leave the floor when they are in the wild is when they are being carried off as somethings dinner. It's not in their nature to be comfortable off the ground. Some rabbits can over come it, but with some, their instincs are too strong to be tamed out of them.
Hope that makes sense  :blink:
Carla xxxx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 15:29 »
She is 6 months old coming up to 7 .. :/ 
Things have gone better now, i have started to stroke her alot before i pick her up and it has worked :D Sometimes she stuggles but she is getting much better :)
Thank you

xx
Problems with two new rabbits.

Started by ianl on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 15:40
by Trillium
xx
Magpie Vs Rabbits

Started by The Red Baron on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 09:26
by splash101
xx
male rabbits

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post December 18, 2010, 18:54
by Mulberry1990
xx
Fighting rabbits help!!

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 19:10
by Ribbit

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 38 queries.