Greenhouse cucumbers

• 11 Replies

Elm street

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse cucumbers
« on: March 24, 2015, 10:21 »
Greenhouse newbie question!
I have bought a couple of mini cucumber plants - Hana F1 type they are currently in my conservatory at home whilst I complete my new greenhouse on the plot.
Question - Can I grow cucumbers in buckets in the greenhouse or is it best to put them directly in the border soil?

Many thanks for any replies!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:32 »
I hope your conservatory is warm, at night as well as day - you won't be able to leave then overnight in an unheated greenhouse until about the end of April/beginning of May.

I think they do better in the soil, but others grow them well enough in tubs - maybe I'm not careful enough with watering them.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 13:27 »
Thanks MOS,
The conservatory has a thermostatically controlled radiator in there, it does not fall below 10c overnight  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 13:35 »
Phew!

Panic over!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 13:37 »
If you have soil borders in the greenhouse I would plant them in there - easier to manage the watering in a greenhouse border than a container.  Soil may need replacing periodically as it will get tired if you just plant the same greenhouse crops in it year after year.  I replace mine every year, but that is probably overkill.  The manure / compost mix I put in the my greenhouse borders comes out lovely at the end of the season, so for me in part the changing of the greenhouse soil annually is so that I have a supply of nice fine compost.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 13:49 »
I failed 3 years on the trot with GH cukes until last year, having finally worked out they were getting too much direct sunlight, although I have to say it's not a problem widely reported on these forums.

Better to err on the side of caution though and not plant in the sunniest part of the GH, and also, if possible, place them as far away from the door as you can - they like more humidity than, say, tomatoes which they often find themselves sharing the space with.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 17:09 »
I do agree that it is easier to keep water levels consistent etc growing cucumbers in border soil, I did quite well with them in flower buckets last year, with a pop bottle waterer in each. They did need regular feeding, more than in the soil, but gave a good crop trained up some trellis on the east facing side of the greenhouse at home. Reached the roof and flowered up amongst the grape vine   :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 17:22 »
I find they grow like triffids in the poly bed . crop almost as badly as courgettes lol
I cook therefore I grow

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 17:31 »
Thanks for the replies everyone  :D
Looks like they are going in the border soil then! In the SE corner of the greenhouse where the large water butt outside can give them some shade  :D :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 18:58 »
Thanks for the replies everyone  :D
Looks like they are going in the border soil then! In the SE corner of the greenhouse where the large water butt outside can give them some shade  :D :D

Sounds perfick  :D

oldgrunge

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 20:38 »
Grow mine in buckets, I put a plastic plant pot with the bottom removed around he stem to help prevent neck rot. I water with a micro irrigation system.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 16:12 »
Grow mine in recycled  growmore tubs with holes drilled in the bottom, because I am too cheapskate  to buy buckets !   
I  stand the tubs in big seed trays permanently filled with a couple of inches of water and 1/2 strength feed.

I buy new JI No 2 every year.

Don't know if this is the best system- I am a newbie at cucumbers.  It is basically just the same "ring-culture" system I  have use for tomatoes for the last 99 years, even down to getting them to grow up hairy string, rather than wires or canes.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

xx
Cucumbers in a greenhouse

Started by mickmick on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 14:50
by seaside
xx
"We" have greenhouse cucumbers!

Started by JayG on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

18 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 14:34
by beesrus
clip
Cucumbers!

Started by wendycas on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 18:19
by mumofstig
xx
cucumbers

Started by hawb81 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 21:54
by hawb81

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 40 queries.