LIDL compost

• 7 Replies

jambop

LIDL compost
« on: April 04, 2019, 08:36 »
 I bought some GP compost from LIDL Grandiol brand €1.40 per 20L and sowed some onions and other things into it. Onions have germinated but hardly moved and they look weak and slightly yellow with definite yellow tips to the leaves. I normally let my onions grow on in the big pot and then plant them out but I have decided to single these onions out into modules and use Verve compost that I have. Hopefully the will grow on a bit before I plant them out at the end of the month. The beetroot that I sowed into it have germinated OK but again are just not growing on, same with some french marigolds. I am hoping that it is just a case of not having any feed in the compost? I will just use the rest for soil conditioning... which is actually the reason I bought it but I think it is just a case of you get what you pay for... although I had used some cheap compost bought last year from Auchan for some sowings and they have been fine and green?

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: LIDL compost
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:03 »
The last time I bought ultra cheap compost it had all sorts of litter in it, silver foil from fag packets plant rootballs... never again. The worst I bought was from the pound shop, it was dried and compressed so you had to rehydrate it, ended up like coconut fibre but bright orange coloured.

Nowadays I buy branded compost at a normal sort of price, its just not worth the risk.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:16 »
To be fair this compost looks absolutely fine. I has a lot of composted bark in it though not large chunks but you can see it. It also has a lot of fibre and a bit of fine sand... to look at it you would think that it would be fine I just don't think there is much feed in it. The Verve compost on the other hand is very different. It is a rich chocolate colour with lots of fibre and composted twigs and not a hint of any sand or grit at all. I have to sieve the Verve as it does have some lumps of wood and twigs in it but the product I think is better.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:47 »
I don't like the Lidl compost - bit coarse and I'm not impressed with the results. The Growmoor compost from Home Bargain is nice to handle and giving good results as does 'Erin with added John Innes' The Growmoor comes in 40 litre bags for £1.99 - the Erin is 3x70 litres for £11.00
Must admit to finding the 40 litre bags easier to handle.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

jambop

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:53 »
I think I may have been a wee bit harsh on the compost having just thinned out the onions I has sown there were a lot of them in the pot perhaps they had quite quickly depleted the nutrients. Anyway the other stuff I have in that compost I have given a light dressing of veg garden fertiliser will see if they pick up after this has been watered in a bit.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 13:22 »
Forgot you were in France - don't think Home Bargain have any branches there :) Pretty sure you can get Miracle Gro over there - half strength liquid feed will often perk up ailing seedlings. I like it because it has a lot of trace elements, shortage of which can sometimes be the cause of problems.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 09:45 »
I must admit I haven't tried IIDL compost but have tried many brands last year it was Erin this year its Clover not to many lumps good peat value perfect for both potting on and seeding

so having said that and as you know we have debated composts on this site many times so was a bit concerned to read that the Department Environment food & Rural Affairs [DEFRA] are committed to cut down the use of peat based composts in 2020

it looks like there hasn't been a real focus by the compost manufacturers to come up peat free compost that will offer the home gardener a good alternative to peat based composts for quality and price

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 13:39 »
Read this thread with interest as I bought a bag of compost from Lidl last week to use in window boxes. I'll keep a closer eye on the plants to see if they flourish or not! (And I won't use any excess for seedlings.)

xx
Lidl compost

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post March 12, 2017, 11:54
by Christine
xx
I took a Lidl stroll and. . .

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 21:03
by Carollan
xx
Lidl goes gardening

Started by neil1967 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 22:13
by neil1967
xx
Lidl seeds

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 19:18
by beanqueen

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 46 queries.