What I did on the plot today 2019

• 143 Replies

Aled

Re: What I did on the plot today 2019
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2019, 14:21 »
A few carrots left in the patch and that's it!
Cheers
Aled

wneva

« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2019, 07:46 »
Did some tidying up.  We have a small patch - just a quarter allotment really, that's all we can manage.  It comes to seven beds, but we still have quite a lot of stuff growing.  There's spinach, kale and cavallo nero, leeks and a few cabbages.  And some purple sprouting broccoli.  I've nearly cleared the sweetcorn - first time I've tried them, and very good they were.  After that it'll be the runners to clear.  I plan to cut the kale soon, and freeze it.  Likewise the cabbages.

How long will perpetual spinach keep going for?  And can I plant rocket now?  I've been told it can be grown all year round - can that be true?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2019, 10:57 »
How long will perpetual spinach keep going for?  And can I plant rocket now?  I've been told it can be grown all year round - can that be true?

Perpetual spinach gets a bit sad looking over winter, but then usually perks up for more pickings in the spring.  It eventually goes to seed, but I don't pull it up until I can no longer contain it by regularly picking the tops out.

Rocket now  - dunno :unsure: 

If you already have it growing it usually lasts under cover (i.e. cold greenhouse, polytunnel) over winter.  I'm not sure seeds or young plants will do much now tbh.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2019, 13:53 »
Today I pruned some of the currants and prepared them for cuttings. Their all in compost.
I got told it'd be an idea to plant some of the many many many extras down by the local waterway. So during the winter when I'm out walking I'll take them down with a Ho-Mi and plant them in clusters under the trees. I can only hope that they don't get lifted by dogs wanting sticks to chew.

It was all fun and games in the wet until I my shoe didn't even nudge a box. Which caused it to split and flood my shoe and super cosy socks. Standing in the howling wind and rain I didn't mind but that was my limit. So now I'm balling socks and typing this.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2019, 19:47 »
Been collecting cardboard from work to cover the veg plot before putting compost or fym down. thought I had loads but have barely covered the small half. Nice that the ground has dried up a bit so I can barrow compost about.(that's not going that far on the ground.) loads to be done but time.... and energy! Hey ho new year new beginnings.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2019, 20:25 »
I got out in the garden at home today and got quite a lot done in my raised beds,  The apple arch is pruned and the asparagus and seakale beds each side sit in were cut down, cleared and mulched with manure.  Also did the two strawberry beds and the one with the standard bay and a few other bits in.

The rest are herbs so no manure, but they got a weed and tidy up. 

That looks all neat - just the rest of the garden to go and then the plot  :wacko: 

Hey ho new year new beginnings.

Quite so  :lol:  See you on next years thread then  ;)

erikaz1

« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2019, 22:20 »
I got a couple of hours in the garden today. I cleared up the bit next to the bonfire, dug out a few more brambles, pulled up the stray wild raspberries, stripped ivy off the wall at the top of the garden and found a beautiful welsh slate fire place buried in the mess. I'm just missing one of the side pieces so I'm now on a mission to find it. Good job I've got no work at the moment!  :D

Grubbypaws

« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2020, 14:30 »
When do we get What I did on the plot today 2020?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2020, 14:33 »
Please wake up at the back of the classroom (it's at or near the top of this page!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 49 queries.