Gooseberry and Blackcurrant cuttings.

• 5 Replies

Sheena

• Experienced Member
« on: April 17, 2007, 17:28 »
I've never had much success with taking cuttings before, they have always died in the past. Today I took heel(?) cuttings from goosberry and blackcurrant bushes. They are currently in water awaiting some sage advice on what to do next.

I have pots, cutting compost and hormone rooting powder. I would love any suggestions that would help me do this properly. A couple of questions;

1) Do I need to keep the cuttings in a propogator?

2) if they are going to take root how long will it take until they are established?

Organic :)

Sheena

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 17:34 »
I've just realised I've put this in the wrong bit - sorry :oops:

Maybe the moderatros will shift it for me..

king cauli

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 17:41 »
I FIND THAT THE BEST WAY FOR BLACKCURRANTS ,IS TO COUNTER SINK POTS AROUND YOUR BUSH AND BEND THE BRANCHES INTO THE POTS AND PUT A SMALL SLICE INTO THE BEND AND BURY IT FORMLY IN THE POT,KEEP MOIST AND NEXT YEAR ONCE ROOTED YOU CAN SEVOUR COMPLETELY AND ALREADY POTTED UP READY TO MOVE :)
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/th_thc.jpg[/img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/caulicow.jpg[/img]

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 19:55 »
KC, I mentioned the other week that I'd taken cuttings off the blackcurrant prunings that OH had done for me, and mentioned that he said they had rooted becasue they were flowering.  You said they wer living off the sap in the existing twig and won't root until October time (which is what I thought anyway!).

The cuttings are fruiting, but some are looking a bit brown.  Should I take the fruit off to conserve as much goodness for the cuttings do you think, and if they have used up the goodness from the sap, do you think they will still root okay?  Next year I will try the layering method you mentioned if these ones don't take, but OH keeps making me feel guilty that they haven't rooted yet.....

cozzcov

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 20:43 »
Gooseberry and blackcurrant cuttings should be taken in the October from that years growth, take a good well ripened shoot, trim the soft wood end to just above a bud, trim the bottom end to just below a bud. Rub off all but the top 4 buds. Cutting should be about 10-15 inches long.  Make a V trench, 7-8 inches deep, I do this by putting a spade in straight and pushing away from myself to make a gap. Pop in the cutting - top couple of buds should be showing.  Refill the gap. Water and care for as normal.  Next Autumn you should have rooted cuttings.  
When you plant the cuttings to their new sites you need to cut them back any weak low side shoots for the gooses, half the length of any stronger uper branches, for the blackcurrants you need to cut back hard as you would do planting any new blackcurrant bush.

(PS red/white currants can be done the same as the gooseberries)
(PPS I have done gooses and reds like this but in large tubs not into the V trench in the grow and they work too)
(PPPS also done it with winter prunings taking in February and they did root but not that Autumn had to wait until the next year)

wellingtons

I took gooseberry cuttings from my ...
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 09:58 »
... father's plants at Easter and have been told it's possibly but not the easiest way to propagate them.  But 2 weeks on they're looking OK, so fingers and toes crossed.

All we did was take small cuttings, trim them off at a slant, dip in hormone rooting powder and into seed compost.  They're now sitting in an open cold frame ... well it's a pagoda style minature bamboo hut made for my bonsai tree  :lol:

xx
gooseberry and blackcurrant cuttings

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 12:14
by emptydraw
xx
blackcurrant cuttings

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 12:34
by dig4victory
xx
Blackcurrant cuttings.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 21, 2023, 14:14
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Blackcurrant cuttings - how to?

Started by amc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 09:19
by slugtrap

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 34 queries.