Stored potatoes starting to stir

• 3 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Stored potatoes starting to stir
« on: March 30, 2018, 15:53 »
My Sarpo Axona in the shed are just starting to show tiny signs of chits, the Kifli seem fine.  I don't have many of either left, but I may need some alternative storage methods.

I've read posts where people talk about part-cooked roast potatoes that they have frozen and potato cakes.  Any chance of some recipes please  :)

Green Thumb

• Domestic energy comparison
Re: Stored potatoes starting to stir
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 19:21 »
I know its a bit of a late reply now, but i have had great success with freezing partially cooked roasties, and to a lesser degree mash. For the roasties i par boil as normal, toss with salt and pepper, then freeze them initially on  baking tray before sealing in freezer bags (this ensures that they dont all freeze in a solid lump so i can get out the amount i need each time). take them out of the freezer and cook as normal I have found that they crisp up better and actually taste nicer that doing them fresh! For mash we have just being freezing ant left overs in one person portions and have found that it is ok, not as good as fresh, but not far off. We just reheat in the microwave, add a little extra milk and remash it, certainly has given us a few meals extra meals with our home grown potatoes by doing this.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 20:07 »
Thanks Green Thumb  :)  I managed to use the Sarpos in time and ended up with Kifli left, so parboiled them and froze them on a tray like you do, before bagging them up.  They had a few outings as roasties and also in curries. 

lettice

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:09 »
My maincrop always start to dwindle in quantity about now and some are start to become soft and a few chitting.
Luckily at this time of year you are picking plenty of new potatoes to compensate.

For roast, in late April, I always freeze roast a load.
Twice from picking the maincrop till now I make a load of chips and mash to freeze.

Chips is the using the three phase cook and freeze method.

For mash, make mash as usual and roll out to an inch thick and get a pastry cutter and cut out inch rounds, then put in a freezer in layers. Just use as many of the rounds you want when ready, by defrosting overnight in fridge. Find the taste stays perfect.

For roast, I cut in normal roast size shapes and put in a cold salted water saucepan, bring to boil, and simmer for five minutes.
Drain out the water and cover the saucepan with a steamer top and the lid and leave to steam dry for five minutes. You could use a tea towel and lid to cover.
Remove the strainer and with lid on shake the pan to roughen the potatoes and spread out on a tray and pop in the freezer overnight.
Carefully pick off the potatoes and place in a tub in layers.
To cook, no need to defrost, just place in the roasting tin as you would normally (like after traditional par boiling method).

Also, I grow Duke of York new potatoes as these as well as a new potato, do with their skins make a good roast potato alternative until Autumn maincrop picking arrives again.

xx
stored potatoes sprouting

Started by al78 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 09:59
by jaydig
xx
Maincrop potatoes starting to sprout, despite dark storage

Started by jamesbrownontheroad on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 19:31
by jamesbrownontheroad
clip
Fat hen stir fry

Started by prakash_mib on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2020, 20:58
by Kleftiwallah
xx
stir fries

Started by maxie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 21:11
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.