Budget beekeeping anyone?

• 16 Replies

Dreamer@45

Budget beekeeping anyone?
« on: January 08, 2011, 17:57 »
Not sure where to post this so here it is. I received my copy of grow your own yesterday and read an interesting article about building your own budget beehive. I’ve always fancied the idea of keeping a few bees but have been discouraged by the cost of setting up. A top bar beehive ( aka Kenyan beehive.) appears to be the answer and I also like the idea that these hives apparently are more bee friendly than the conventional design. The free plans to make this hive are on biobees.com. I’d really like to hear from anyone on here with personal experience of this hive design or bee keeping in general? Many thanks. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Budget beekeeping anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 18:08 »
kevinp is just starting out with bees and will be making himself some topbar hives so maybe you could have a chat him  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Dreamer@45

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 18:54 »
Thanks Joyful! :)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 21:40 »
How is the beekeeping going? 

We've just started with chickens, in a rural back garden, and No2 son wants to keep bees - any pointers about how to manage this without too much inter-species hassle?

We have dogs as well.
ManicMum

Swing Swang

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:20 »
Been sitting on plans/books for top bar hives/beekeeping for a couple of years now. Would be really interested if other members post their experiences/photos/comments etc from time to time. Thanks. SS

rachelr

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52 »
I have been asking the OH if we can do bees but he is not sure. However, the british bee keeper association can put you in touch with local people who can help you.

Our local bee keepers meet once a month in the pub. I have yet to make it to the meeting but hopefully will be soon

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:42 »
if you all click on the pets without feathers section then in the search box type bees you will find lots of topics about bees and bee keeping  :)

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 12:53 »
Hi Dreamer As joyful has said I am starting this year keeping bees at the moment I have a new design hive from work which is a top bar hive and will be making a kenyon top bar and a warre hive as well. It might be worth you looking for Phil chandlers book the barefoot beekeeper you can buy the book or a download of it from LULU press or go to his site and get it there The barefoot beekeeper Its a nice easy book to read also if you mention on his forum that you are interested or you are starting out they operate a mentor system which is a great idea to learn of someone who has experience of tbh. I also joined the local but they tend to do a different type of beekeeping and some of them are not keen on natural beekeeping.

Any questions just ask   

Dreamer@45

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 21:20 »
Hi Kevinp

I have the book and a very interesting read it is too! I’ve also found out that the author lives nearby and that he’s doing a talk soon……HOORAY! I’ll keep you guys posted on my progress. :)

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 21:29 »
I have signed up for this weekend course in may Natural beekeeping at Embercombe

the attachment shows our hives Dont think I am allowed to post links  but theres a picture
bee hive.jpg

elibump

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:38 »
Aparently Biobees are running a conference sometime soon and you can pay what you think its worth.  I presume the information will be on the biobees website?

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 21:49 »
did you manage to listen to Phil last night eli ?

I got to install my first hive on Saturday and mark out the apiary I am having, luckily I am part of a community farm so have been given a little patch for the bees although everyone will gain from them being there :)

didn't get that post in very straight though :) and I still need to level the hive, but its getting there.

Anyone know of a cheap source for hedging plants and what would be good to grow as a hedge, need enough for 36 feet as this side is the allotments.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 21:53 »
go for mixed native hedging Kevin, and now is the best time for planting. If you choose bare rooted stock they shouldn't cost too much at all for that distance  :)

elibump

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 10:22 »
Sorry KevinP I couldnt listen to Phil last night - as we live out in the middle of nowhere we can never guarantee either our electricity or more often our broadband connection so its no use us signing up to something like that.  I do know the Warre system is cheaper with regards to harvesting honey though - dont need all that expensive extraction stuff. 8)

Good luck and do keep posting piccies, please

Eli xx

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 08:58 »

I got to install my first hive on Saturday and mark out the apiary I am having, luckily I am part of a community farm so have been given a little patch for the bees although everyone will gain from them being there :)

That's a nice looking hive :)
Do you think it might be better turned round 180˚ so that you don't walk through the bees' flight path and so that they fly up and over the hedge. No danger of them pinging anybody else in the field.

xx
Beekeeping questionnaire

Started by GilbertJessop on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 20:53
by GilbertJessop
xx
D.I.Y. beehive and beekeeping.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 21:00
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Beekeeping - this has me hooked

Started by FCG on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 07:32
by elibump
xx
Can anyone suggest good beekeeping books...

Started by elibump on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 14:06
by elibump

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 35 queries.