Bees

• 5 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Bees
« on: August 04, 2010, 18:17 »
Does anyone keep bees on an alotment if so is there much care involved or do they look after themselves food and water wise?
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bees
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 19:10 »
I don't keep them myself but there's quite a bit to know about pests and diseases to start with.

Have a look at this thread as it will give you some useful links to research up from

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56501.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

amckeen

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 17:36 »
I don't have them yet but in preparation for setting up the 2 hives I have permission for I have just done a beginners course with my local beekeeping association.

There is a lot involved in keeping bees.  They do appreciate a nearby water source but you don't have to give them water.  In terms of feeding, however, you will have to manage the hive and provide food if necessary (definitely in preparation for winter and then the new year).

Keeping bees is definitely more onvolved than keeping hens, for example, and your first step (after getting permission to keep bees in the first place) should definitely be getting in touch with/joining your local beekepping association (at the very least they should be affiliated to the national association and through them you would get public liability insurance).

If you can't get on a course you should try to make contact with an experienced local keeper who can 'mentor' you in setting up and developing your hive(s).

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 17:43 »
They are not as simple to look after as anyone might think and some allotment authorities don't allow them, so check with yours first.  Most who do allow them insist on a 6 ft high fence around the hives to make the bees gain height before whizzing across the allotment site and banging in to gardeners.

A bee course is a must and allotment authorities usually insist on it.  there is a lot of useful information here:

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/uploads/article459/Bees.pdf

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 21:21 »
we are 1st year bee keepers and def agree with the advice to join your local association and get on a course  :)  it is fascinating, nervewracking, intriguing, addictive, worrying (sooo many decisions and never only one right answer  :blink: ) and lots of fun  :D 
go for it if you can but get as much knowledge and support before launch
good luck  :nowink:

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 22:00 »
In some ways very easy to keep in others, (like most women) you never know what they are upto ::) ;) :D

xx
My Bees are in

Started by kevinp on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:33
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Bees

Started by Jilly Pickles on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 23:13
by jimbeekeeper
xx
Bees

Started by wilbzfishing on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 17:49
by sunshineband
xx
New bees

Started by ManicMum on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:04
by darren64

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 36 queries.