Wales Speed Limit

• 9 Replies

AndyRVTR

Wales Speed Limit
« on: September 17, 2023, 05:24 »
The Welsh government are introducing a 20mph speed limit on all residential roads and pedestrian streets across Wales from Today
Do you think it's a good or bad idea and do you think it will be introduced across the rest of the UK if its successful?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:24 by AndyRVTR »

Goosegirl

Re: Wales Speed Limit
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 08:19 »
Essentially it's a good idea but who is going to enforce and police it as some motorists and bikers will go at whatever speed they want to. Will it mean more speed cameras?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 09:03 »
Will it mean more speed cameras?
I think someone raised that point during the debates, that it's just another stealth tax on motorists who break an even lower limit. I believe there will soon be no more lea-way on speed limits, ie even 1mph over the limit will result in a fine!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 10:13 »
This is very difficult on an empty road it could seem unnecessary.
I keep my speed to 20 miles an hour where indicated locally but my car doesn’t like driving this slowly. Also I find if I’m not careful I can be overtaken. On the main road near us I’m tailgated when I drive at 30 miles an hour. The problem is we have a subset of drivers who shouldn’t be on the road. If I’m passing a group of young children I will be virtually at a standstill as I know how unpredictable they can be.
Essentially we need more police to be visible in our communities.
Keep digging

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 12:01 »
The rule change relates to restricted roads - those with a system of street lighting where street lamps are no more than 198 yards apart. Up until now, the general rules have been that there is a default 30mph speed limit unless another speed limit has been passed by the local authority and is shown by regular repeater speed signs.

As you say, national legislation in Wales was passed about 18 months ago and has now changed the default limit there to 20mph where you see this system of street lighting and no other repeater signs. It is open to the local Welsh authority to pass a local speed limit putting it back to 30mph (or other) on local streets.

Quite a few local authorities in England have already made local orders covering local areas (some in the SW come to mind), where you will see general 20mph limits (not just on various roads). So, while there is no general push for a national change in England, it is occurring in various areas separately, where there is a demand for it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 12:02 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 12:10 »
Im curious how they intend to enforce this against things like electric scooters, electric bikes and even peddle ones.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 12:17 »
Im curious how they intend to enforce this against things like electric scooters, electric bikes and even peddle ones.

The relevant law applies to motor vehicles only. E-scooters that are covered under the trial provisions, electrically assisted pedal cycles, and pedal cycles are not motor vehicles and therefore the rules do not apply to them.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 15:42 »
I see it's actually in the FAQ
Why are bicycles allowed to overtake me when I am driving at 20mph?

I was today years old when I learnt this.  I genuinely thought speed limits applied to all road users, it just hadn't been an issue at 30mph.   
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 09:15 by Lardman »

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 09:04 »
If you are riding on the road in or on whatever transport then the speed limit should apply to all users. End of.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2023, 20:29 »
Well as the road traffic legislation has been in force in its current incarnation for many decades I suspect you're not going to get it changed any time soon  ::)

xx
Speeding fine vs Speed awareness course

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

31 Replies
Last post December 23, 2017, 16:20
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Coronavirus - Out of Control in Wales?

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

28 Replies
Last post December 21, 2020, 12:01
by mrs bouquet
xx
Ammanford South Wales - Looking for an allotment

Started by SCassin on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post July 09, 2021, 19:08
by Yorkie
xx
Wales is Closed for a couple of hours

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 29, 2019, 17:16
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 46 queries.