Shredded paper as mulch

• 9 Replies

snails2go

• Newbie Grower - so much to learn!
Shredded paper as mulch
« on: May 29, 2012, 21:13 »
OH very kindly brought back some shredded paper from work thinking they'd be useful as "brown stuff" for the compost bin.  And indeed they are  :D  But there's just too much....8 full, large, black, bin bags at last count  :ohmy:

So, I used some to protect the potatoes when it was frosty - worked a treat - removed it and added it to the compost bin.

But, was wondering if there were any reason/s why it shouldn't be used as general mulch around the courgettes, strawberries etc and all the other veg/fruit in pots (except the cucumbers of course)?

Dampened it wouldn't draw the moisture out... ??

[hmmm ... maybe this should be in frugal....]

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Shredded paper as mulch
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 21:48 »
I read about using it instead of straw around strawberries and was tempted myself.  

I have used it as part of my lasagne bed building exploits, but must admit I am always worried about it drying out and blowing everywhere if it isn't covered by compost/soil or manure.

I always keep at least one black sackful next to the compost heap and add a few handfuls whenever the heap starts getting a bit wet from kitchen scraps, etc.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:23 »
When it's wet, shredded paper will stay put and really house a lot of slugs. When dry, it'll very likely fly about and leave you with nothing but annoyed neighbours.

Perhaps starting a 2nd compost bin? Or a wormery?

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:59 »
I was in the garden centre on Sunday, I asked them if they had any straw for my strawberries, they didn't but they did tell me straw is not a great idea as it hold moisture and so can rot the fruit, would this not be the same issue if you used paper with the strawberries?

For strawberries they told me the best thing to use is gravel, this makes sense as it hold no water and is easily and quickly dried when the sun appears, also I had a load of gravel at home that needed using so a perfect solution for me :)

Could you not just burn it maybe and request he does not bring any more home or maybe only 1 bag in a blue moon?

If you are feeling particularly arty you could mash it to a pulp and make some new paper from it I suppose, no doubt you will have other things to do though on the lotty :)

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 22:11 »
Did the garden centre have any straw to sell you?
Did the garden centre have any gravel to sell you?
Does this have anything to do with the advice they gave?

snails2go

• Newbie Grower - so much to learn!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 23:38 »
I have a few too many courgettes on the go, so have decided to experiment with the paper shred dings as a mulch.  The courgettes are in pots on top of the water butts so a fair way for the slugs to climb. I've left a reasonable depth on the inside of the pots so hoping this will be enough to keep the paper in the pots rather than around the neighbours garden if it dries out.

I'll keep you posted...

In the meantime, I've redirected OH to the other "useful" things on my skip diving/frugal gardening list so no more paper for a while  :D

And PembsPanther I'm liking the idea of some papier mache pot making :lol:

Kirpi

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:17 »
Re: gravel - slugs like to hide underneath stones where water and damp accumulates in the day.

Straw doesn't stay wet - water runs through it so it would be the perfect strawberry mulch.

Shredded paper I would put in the composters mixed with something green like your lawn mowings.

Yana

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:02 »
I used a load of shredded paper in the base of four raised beds (1.2m wide X 1.2m long X 1m high) i built. Worked a treat a I covered it with compost.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:21 »
I have put a load at the bottom of my bean trenches, hopefully will hold some extra water.
Rachael

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 14:06 »
Re: gravel - slugs like to hide underneath stones where water and damp accumulates in the day.

Straw doesn't stay wet - water runs through it so it would be the perfect strawberry mulch.

Shredded paper I would put in the composters mixed with something green like your lawn mowings.

You make some excellent points there, funnily enough although the garden centre did not have any straw they did have a big selection of gravel, however I have dealt with the owners fro many years in other business so do class them as friends but you never know.

I have only so far mulched half of them with gravel, I am going into town tomorrow so as a little experiment I will call into Wilkinsons and get some of their pet straw and mulch the other half with this, I will then see if there is any difference over the season.

xx
Can I use Shredded paper as a mulch?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 21:00
by Yana
xx
Potatos in with shredded paper? What mulch?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 20:10
by WG.
xx
Shredded Bark as Mulch?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 11:46
by PembsPanther
xx
shredded paper

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 11:28
by granjan

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 35 queries.