Cats and fireworks

• 10 Replies

Elaine G

Cats and fireworks
« on: September 22, 2010, 22:22 »
My daughter has had a cat for 6 months (she is now 1 year old.) She was rehomed as she was bullied by her brothers and is still quite a nervous cat at times.
She is terrified of the vacuum cleaner, and when fireworks went off last weekend she was terrified of these too.
I guess this is quite a common problem - sorry I only have a goldfish! but I have become quite fond of Audrey (the cat) As bonfire night is still a way off, does anyone have any tips to help the next few weeks pass less stressfully for the cat and my daughter?
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cats and fireworks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 22:45 »
Hopefully others will be along soon but I recall reference previously being made on here to a plug-in product called feliway or something like that.  I think it calms the nerves.

If the cat remains really nervous then vets will prescribe tranquillisers for short-term use at bonfire night.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 18:17 »
Feliway plug in as well as spray to use on her favourite sleeping spots will help. There is also a drug called Zylkene (sp?) that is used for cats in stressful situations, it is a natural product and has worked well for a couple of my cats so worth a try. Both are cheaper to buy online than at the vets and they don't need a prescription. Making a secure hiding place will help too - mine love a cardboard box in the corner with blankets in. Hope that helps  :)

madcat

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 20:57 »
I had to develop a plan when I found my large tabby softie trying to wedge himself into the wine rack under the stairs.  First, all windows, doors and curtains shut in good time before dark.  second, favourite human settles in favourite room with heat - fire was good - so he felt snoozy and safe.  Thirdly TV or CDs on quite loud .....  Feeling secure and loved and not really hearing the sounds properly - he just stuck his claws in to make sure I stayed still (I was equipped with bottle of wine) and we were fine ....  works for new year and the neighbours party etc etc.

sadly he is no longer with us ... current feline just puts tail over ears and sighs ....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 21:28 »
My cat just charges up the stairs and under the bed at the first sign or sound of trouble, whether it's the hoover, children playing outside, or even on occasion a funny noise on the tv........funniest was a lion roaring in a zoo programme :lol:

She's a real scaredy cat!

evie2

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 23:07 »
we lock ours in the house, windows and curtains closed and allow the cats to find their own safe place.  Merlin and Loki upstairs in our room, snoring, Pandora on my knee and Freya trying to shove Pandora off because that's her place  ::) :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:24 »
Try and muffle the noise of the fireworks if possible.

DO NOT fuss your cat if they get scared. I know its hard but if you fuss, you are telling the cat that its ok to be scared of fireworks. My collie was scared of thunderstorms and fireworks, but after a few times of us telling him to get over himself, he is fine with them :)

If worse comes to worse, Feliway plug ins can work too.

Tell us how you get on :)
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

Elaine G

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 20:04 »
Thanks for your replies.
Thingy there is no chance of fussing her, she goes to ground under the bed or sofa and stays there for hours!
We were just more concerned as there will undoubtedly be fireworks starting before anyone gets home.
So we will look into buying the Feliway and hope she has the sense to come indoors.

Thanks

Elaine

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 22:54 »
If she has a cat flap I would set to in only for the days before and after bonfire night and put a litter tray in to keep her in. I lock mine from about 6pm, including the ferals, in for the night before, bonfire night, and the night after not only to stop them getting startled but also to stop them getting into the bonfires as people build them. I know it is a pain and mine cry and panic that the flap is shut but I just think it is a little safer and only once a year - plus new years eve - so they can live with it!!!

I hope that Audrey doesn't get too scared. Within another year you will see such a difference in her and her trust and calmness now she is in a safe home. One of my cats got bullied (by another of my cats) and after a few months living with my mum and dad she is back to her loving calm contented self and I'm sure Audrey will be too soon :)

noshed

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 13:50 »
They like to be up high so sometimes a box on its side on a shelf can be comforting for a scared cat. Under the bed or behind the sofa is usually favourite though.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

evie2

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 14:05 »
Ah, so that's why Loki loves the top of our wardrobe :lol:

xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig
xx
Cats

Started by dookie on Pets without Feathers

84 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 00:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Who would have cats ?

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:20
by composthappens
xx
Lysine for cats

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 15:17
by Casey76

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 40 queries.