Accidental vegetables

• 3 Replies

Annie

Accidental vegetables
« on: September 03, 2007, 00:48 »
" this year!
  The first followed and experiment tosee if we could mend a terracotta pot that had split in a complete circle around the pot.After we filled it with soil and 2 months ago a very health,fat asparagus spear appeared,we are now working out how to replant it without breaking the pot.
 The second was in a barrel where I had sown some spicey salad leaves which were not very nice,they were left for a while as I got others on the go and today I went to turf them out to make a loose leaf sowing.A rather tastless `cervil` had made a late showing but as I pulled these out I found perfect baby carrots!These have now been weeded,watered and I shall carry on neglecting them until needed.I`ve never heard of carrot tops as a cut and come salad constituant. :shock:  :lol:

muntjac

Accidental vegetables
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 09:04 »
wait till it dies back in the winter and then hose it out of the pot by washing away the soil .then put it in a box of compost in a cool but not a place where it will freeze.transplant in spring :wink:
still alive /............

Trillium

Accidental vegetables
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 15:04 »
As long as carrots are still in the soil, they'll keep making tops. However, I wouldn't push my luck too long in cutting the greens as it will soon stunt the root itself. Depends on what you're after though - roots or tops. As for the carrots growing there, sometimes seeds take up to 2 years to finally sprout. Doesn't help the poor grower, but that's the perverseness of nature.  :lol:

Annie

Accidental vegetables
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 16:10 »
Now I know they`re carrots I`m letting them grow!I grow salad only in this barrel underplanted with spring bulbs so the seeds must have come from the spicey salad mix that I sowed.They are well away from the veg.plot and being low in the barrel are root fly free.The few I pulled before I realised were very tasty.I`ve just put most of the parsley heads on the compost,now accidental parsley all over the garden would be very welcome! :lol:

xx
Vegetables so far

Started by weathergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 21:13
by Dan78
xx
What, when and how to net vegetables

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 00:17
by suziet88
xx
Flowers between vegetables.

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 22:05
by monkeywobbler
xx
Vegetables and Shade

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 21:29
by swaine

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 35 queries.