Do I really have to refrigerate this pickle??

• 6 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Do I really have to refrigerate this pickle??
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:09 »
I've just found this recipe for sweet & sour pickled marrow, but it says it has to be kept refrigerated, i.e. even when it's not been opened it can't be stored in a cool, dark cupboard in the normal way.  Can anyone tell me why?  There seems to be the requisite amount of sugar and vinegar in there along with some salt ...

1.25kg Marrow
4 Onions
2 Green Peppers
2 Tsp Salt
300ml Cider Vinegar
450g Sugar
Half tsp Celery Seeds
Half tsp White Mustard Seeds

You place the flesh of the marrow into a colander, weight it and allow it to drain.  You then heat the vinegar and sugar, add the spices and sliced veg and boil for 4 minutes.  Then pack into sterilised jars and seal ... so why does it need refrigerating?? ???

Springlands

Re: Do I really have to refrigerate this pickle??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 11:21 »
That sounds very much like an American recipe that I use (Bread and Butter Pickle) which uses cucumber instead of marrow. Bread and Butter pickle is also usually refrigerated. I think that it is because of the water content of the cukes and that would also apply to marrows. The pickled cukes go soft quite quickly if they are not refrigerated. 

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:32 »
Mmmm - I thought it might be something to do with the water content, even though it's weighted and drained.  That's a shame, but thanks for the info!   :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 13:33 »
If the jars are hot sealed to make a water bath type seal, then the pickles don't need to be refrigerated until opened. Some folk just put the jar lid on the hot contents but this doesn't always make a good jar seal so refrigerating this method of sealing is best. Again, once opened, it must be refrigerated. There's not enough vinegar to keep the contents edible for a length of time like several weeks or months.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 08:02 »
Thanks Trillium.  I must admit I've never tried the waterbath method - I really ought to give it a go  :)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 23:51 »
As long as the brine is very hot when added to the jars, a 5-10 minute waterbath will do the trick. I've had bread and butter pickles 7years old on my shelves and they still taste great when opened.

Only reason I have 7 year old pickles is that the 'hired help' is too lazy to reach for the oldest marked jars and will usually grab the newest jars  :dry:

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 20:11 »
Only reason I have 7 year old pickles is that the 'hired help' is too lazy to reach for the oldest marked jars and will usually grab the newest jars  :dry:

Just can't get the staff these days, eh?!!  ;) :wacko:

xx
Pan Yan Pickle, RIP...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 20:40
by Growster...
xx
In a pickle

Started by tenderness on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 04, 2007, 00:12
by tenderness
xx
in a pickle..

Started by pottyaboutgrowing on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 17:21
by Livinhope
xx
red onions - can i pickle them?

Started by aqua on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 16:34
by cheshirecheese

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 38 queries.