chick crumbs

• 9 Replies

Tony H

• Experienced Member
chick crumbs
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:49 »
At the mo i feed my chicks on chick crumbs what i wondered is layers mash as good for them ? layers has all the goodness for  adult chucks but is it the same for chicks  :wacko:
Chicken crazy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: chick crumbs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:04 »
no you need to use chick crumb for the correct amount of protein etc. It is upto you if you buy medicated or not but I would advise that you get a bottle of baycox or coxoid in just incase they get coccidiosis. Medicated feed (should say ACS - anti coccidiosis on them) doesn't protect against all types of cocci. Also if your chicks do develop it you will need to feed them unmedicated feed with the treatment.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 10:06 »
Thaks joyfull for advice  :D

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 15:43 »
Hi Tony, chick crumb is usually quite a lot heigher in protein tham layers (layers is usually 14-16%, and chick crumbs usually about 18-20% protein)  the other thing, is that layers has much more calcium added than cick crumbs (to make the egg shells), too much calcium in a chick can be bad, as it can make the bones too hard and more likely to break (the bones become so hard they become brittle).  someties too much of a good thing is bad :)

So... keep the chicks on chick crumb until about 6-8 weeks, then they should go onto growers, which is an intermediary between crumb and layers (it is usually pellets, but may be smaller than layers pellets; it is usually not medicated (but can be), and is slightly lower protein than crumb, but still more than layers...

Good luck with your little babies :)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 15:55 »
Thanks casey i will try to get medicated food when they change from chick crumbs to give them a healthy start  :D

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 18:02 »
the medicated food is just to help prevent coccidiosis and as I said earlier doesn't always work. then if your chicks get coccidiosis they will need unmedicated foood and coxoid or baycox. I never feed mine on medicated (and I know Casey doesn't as over in France it is rare to buy medicated). If they start laying whilst on medicated you cannot eat the eggs.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 20:42 »
o so its best to start with a good quality chick crums then growers then layers pellets/mash  :D where do you get the the baytox or coxoid from ? better get some just in case  :D

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 20:47 »
I get mine from my feed merchants but you can buy it from ebay. I have never had to use it (in fact have chucked several small bottles away as they have gone out of date) but it really is a must to keep in stock just in case. The only time I have seen a chick with it was with some fed on the medicated feed  :(. Only buy a small bottle  :)
Some growers is also known as rearers so don't worry if you can only find that,

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 06:38 »
Thanks joyfull i have decided to go on a chicken keeping corse thers so much to lern and i dont want to loose chucks because i got it wrong that would be cruel, this site is great for advice but i want to learn the signes before it becomes a problem  :D

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 06:57 »
years ago I went on a omlet course - quite good for a beginner but they don't teach you things like looking for mites/lice rearing chicks etc.
There are several good books available and really it would be a good idea to get a few. I have lots of books and refer to them as and when needed.
Here are a few that members on here have recommended:-
Haynes chicken manual,
Katie Thear:- starting with chickens
Katie Thear:- incubating and hatching chickens
Cara and John Harrison:- Backgarden chickens and other poultry.

Nobody knows everything and we are learning all the time - most of our knowledge comes from practical experience and reading up. You will get there so don't panic  :)

xx
Chick crumbs

Started by mikey_s2005 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 16:39
by slowef
question
What's in CHICK CRUMBS??

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 11:17
by cathangirl
xx
Chick crumbs to growers

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 00:08
by jo40
xx
chick crumbs to growers what age?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 20:48
by joyfull

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 40 queries.