Couscous

• 25 Replies

Auntiemogs

Re: Couscous
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 21:04 »
I use stock when I make mine up, :) and then mix in various bits and pieces.
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 21:52 »
No Lardy, that's buckwheat! X

Oh  ::) Still Im more to be pitied than blamed  ;)

... sprinkle in desired spices (lots or a little, as you like)

What spices would I be desiring ? The times I've tried to spice it up a bit things just end up like curry without any body.   :blush:

took me a few seconds to work out CBA

Come play in "What's for Tea" - the CBA fairy regularly visits us in there  :lol:

Snoop

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 08:17 »
What spices would I be desiring ? The times I've tried to spice it up a bit things just end up like curry without any body.   :blush:

Well, if you want a North African flavour quickly (not terribly hot but nicely perfumed), you could go for ras el hanout. It's a blend of the usual suspects with a few additions like rose petals in the fancy (expensive) versions. Watch out if you don't like or try to avoid MSG: I've spotted it in quite a few cheap versions over here. Otherwise, I'd put in turmeric, cumin, paprika, black pepper and a bit of cayenne pepper. Put the spice into the sweated onion and then stir it in and cook for a few seconds before adding anything else.

Lardman

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 18:48 »
... you could go for ras el hanout. It's a blend of the usual suspects with a few additions like rose petals in the fancy (expensive) versions.

I've been meaning to pick some of that up as it was used for a lamb dish I saw the other week. I ordered it from the usually oh so reliable grey supermarket and ....

Missing items
We're really sorry but you're missing:
- 1 x Bart Ras el Hanout

Been one of those weeks

wighty

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 08:02 »
A spoonful of Harissa paste stirred through also adds extra flavour.  You can use a spoon of a size that reflects your own taste buds!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 23:06 »
Lardman - your local healthfood shop should sell Kallo stock cubes - they are often different flavours to normal stock cubes - I have tomato & herb, mushroom and french onion stock and these add adelicious flavour to cous cous, Giant cous cous or bulgar wheat  ;)

Lardman

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 08:42 »
... your local healthfood shop ...

A what shop now ? ::)  :nowink: 

I have been using the star brand for a bit their mushy cubes are pretty good, you have to watch the MSG though.

Big thumbs up to the ras al hanout blend, I finally found some, not cheap and it was only barts but even on it's own made things much better. I'll be trying a few more things now I know it doesn't have to taste like laundry water.  ;)

madcat

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13 »

Shush .... you could shock us with a pic of your local h***** food shop - just to prove you can find it.  You don't have to go in ...   :nowink:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 09:19 »

Shush .... you could shock us with a pic of your local h***** food shop - just to prove you can find it.  You don't have to go in ...   :nowink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jaydig

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 09:30 »
took me a few seconds to work out CBA

Me too! :D :D

Snoop

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 09:30 »
Big thumbs up to the ras al hanout blend, I finally found some, not cheap and it was only barts but even on it's own made things much better. I'll be trying a few more things now I know it doesn't have to taste like laundry water.  ;)

You can add it to almost anything for a bit flavour. If you're doing slices of meat (here they sell pork loin in very thin slices, but filleted chicken breast works well too), dust the meat with spice (I sometimes use madras powder if we're having curried veg) as if flouring, leave for five minutes or so and then fry. If you want a crispier coating: spice, leave for five mins, dip in milk or beaten egg and then toss in flour or better still bread crumbs. If you fancy a very crispy coating (plus it makes the meat go further), leave for five mins or so once you've done the first coat of crumbs, then repeat the egg and crumb coating. A second coat doesn't work so well with milk, so egg is better. Dead easy and keeps the CBA fairy at bay, especially if you use foil instead of plates or bowls for the spice and flour/crumbs to save on the washing-up.

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 39 queries.