Honda F400

• 28 Replies

dalemellor

Honda F400
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:15 »
Hi All

Bit of advice needed, going to to look at a Honda F400 rotavator this evening, Chap wants £250 for it. It appears clean and tidy apart from normal wear.

Would you say £250 was a fair price and is there anything particular i should be looking at E.g. oil seals etc etc

Cheers

Dale

Browser

• Experienced Member
Re: Honda F400
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:12 »
Hi Dale, I would think BigBadFrankie'll be along at some point as he's much more experience of Honda's than me, but here goes my three penn'orth.
I bought an F400 last year which I've only just got round to getting running, and am battling years of 'maintenance' (read neglect) which seemed to consist of putting petrol in the tank, and that was it! They're a nice machine and I'm expecting mine to be a good work horse when it's back running.
    First off, look at the general condition.
1) Check for loose/missing bolts & nuts. Many of them are metric fine and will be slightly harder to get hold of than metric coarse. Move the various adjuster levers on the handlebars, tiller column and hitch (the bit where a plough would attach) as they should all be free and un-seized.

2) Check all of the tines are there, are undamaged and not too worn. Used replacements are few and far between and command a premium on Ebay, new ones are expensive (I've seen £175 for a set!).

3) Has it got a pair of pneumatic-tyred wheels with it? They came with new ones as standard and, as there's no front transport wheel, they are a heavy * to get around otherwise. Check the tyres are in OK nick as new ones are quite pricey.

4) Check the petrol tank for leaks as they are now an obsolete part and used ones are scarce. If it is leaking and/or rusty it's not the end of the world. I grafted on a GX120 tank which, while it doesn't fit as well as the original or look as pretty, does work.

5) Check the exhaust silencer for serious rust as they are an obsolete part too. Again, some rust should be espected and other silencers can be grafted on.

6) Check the seals on the axle (where the tines attach to the rotovator) aren't leaking, as mine were and I've just had to get a pair. They weren't too bad price-wise but Frankie has done his and says it's a bit of a fiddly job. Once I've done mine I'll let you know.

7) Check the clutch cable where it meets the clutch lever is not frayed and the lever itself pulls/releases smoothly. If it doesn't, the cable might be damaged. A new one is £18 and straightforward to fit, but you need to take the belt guard, drive belt & drive pulleys off and unship the throttle cable and engine stop switch cable to change it.

8) Feel the engine to see if it is hot/warm. This may indicate difficult starting and they may have pre-warmed it to make it easier.

9) Ask them, with their hands off the machine to tell you how to start it. Honda's, even one's this old, should fire up with consummate ease so if they don't summat's up.
Get them to leave it running for a few minutes. Check that it idles fairly steadily and doesn't puff out dstroyer-like clouds of smoke (a little bit is OK). Check that the carburettor doesn't leak petrol, as mine did from the float bowl seal. Refurbishment kits, including gaskets, are available, as are new carbs (don't ask why I know this  ??? )

10) Get them to show you how the tiller actually works (how to 'drive' it), including the gearbox. If you can, try and actually use it to dig some ground to see how it goes. Again, if you can, get thr wheels put on and try driving it about on them.

Please don't be put off by the seeming lack of parts, nearly all engine parts are still available and many others are too. I'd treat anything you find which might need replacement as a negotiating tool for lowering the price, as F400's are still well worth having.
Hope this is some help. :)
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

dalemellor

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:19 »
Fantastic bit of help ta.

It does have the drive wheels and also a ridger (not original).

The chap says he has done a fair bit of restoration, cleaing up on it. Looks a very clean machine from the pics i've seen

Does £250 sound about right, it was on ebay as Buy it now, then removed, but he has been let down so as he's close i've got first butchers. only thing i have to compare to is a Howard 350 that my uncle got for £140, but thought that was a steal??!!!

dalemellor

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:02 »

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:26 »
When you said it was a Buy-It-Now and he'd been let down I knew that it was this one as I'd watched it meself!!
I would have said yes, it is worth £250, as it looks a very nice machine, but then again values tend to be relative to demand.
Everypne and his dog seems to want 'vators at present, so prices are quite high for quality used machines.
I'd go with a view to being prepared to pay the full whack but try not to if you can. Even if it looks mint, still go below his asking price.
He may not have told you, but the start price on the auction was £200  :D

dalemellor

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 12:48 »
that'd be my starting point!

Cheers

dalemellor

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 20:34 »
Well its now mine, went first pull, ticks over just nicely and drove on the wheels no bother, didnt get chance to attach tines but i'm confident.
Right then needs to pay for itself................ who wants a plot doing near nottingham!

cheers for the advice

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:39 »
Well done Dale, hope you managed to haggle him down a bit!
Let's have some piccies up when you get to using it, nice to see them in action  :)

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 22:27 »
I have been away in the caravan, but the price seems about right. It seems Honds are becoming very popular on here.
always have a target
and an objective.

dalemellor

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 07:48 »
An F410 has just gone on fleabay for £530.......is there a massive difference between the f400 and f410? or has demand for roti's gone crackers with the bandwagon jumpers?!

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:30 »
I think prices have gone a bit mad, as you say.
I have never been a roti fan, but this year due to work commitments I had 2 choices, get a roti or give up the allotment for a year.  I couldn't see work changing much in the next few years so I picked up a recon Honda FG210.  It does what I need it to do, and I don't think I'd ever be without one now.
That reminds me, I doubt I'll need it again this year so I suppose it's time to give it a clean.

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 14:40 »
An F410 has just gone on fleabay for £530.......is there a massive difference between the f400 and f410? or has demand for roti's gone crackers with the bandwagon jumpers?!
Oh you were watching that too Dale? I thought it'd got for a good price, but not that much. The F410, from what I can teel looking at pictures as I've never seen one in the metal, is the next-generation replacement for the F400. It uses the newer GX-series 110cc engine, as the GX engines are all slightly more powerful for their capacity than the G-series' were. If you look closer than that, to my eyes anyway most of the other components look mighty similar and I think the F400 will do the same job, it's just older.
And yes, 'vator prices went barmy about 18 months ago when everyone and his dog decided they'd like an allotment. So if you know anyone with a roto skulking in a shed, get 'em to drag it out and sell it, they'll probably make a quid or two  :)

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 07:03 »
The 410 has 6 gears all selected by lever (no belts to change) and the handle bars go right round like the F610. Same 7/8" drive shafts as 400
I watched it to. Its newer evolution the F510 is over £1000 new without accessories

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 17:05 »
Browser,

Your most recent post says that carbs are available.  Could you let me know a source or know of someone that has a used one in full working condition.  I live in the US in Ohio and I have a Honda F400 tiller that I was going to rebuild the carb on for my dad.  when I took off the float bowl, I found nothing but a ton of white oxidized powder.  It looks like something chemically reacted in the bowl, and everything aluminum on the lower end of the carb is totally shot.  I've tried for months to try to track down carbs, engines, and whole tillers to get parts off of, but I'm not having any luck.  I was about to try to find a newer engine to have mounted as the rest of the tiller is in great shape and very well maintained.  I would have thought since I live very close to one of Honda's small engine plants that there would be more of their products around, but I am wrong.  Any assistance on this matter would be great.

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 20:17 »
I got mine from a Honda-affiliated lawnmower parts dealer called Lambes Lawnmowers in Peterborough, UK, but was told when I was in there today that they are probably closing down in about three months. The other place to try would be Lings in Norwich who list the part you are looking for.
I don't know if you will have already tried them, but these guys are US based and seem to list a helluva lot of parts for Honda, the F400 in particular.

xx
honda f400 oil

Started by scarecrow941 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 09:03
by Browser
xx
Honda F400:The resurrection!

Started by Browser on Equipment Shed

61 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 00:33
by Vit
xx
Honda F400 rotavator -advice please

Started by strudelpoodle on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 22:49
by Vit
exclamation
honda f400 rotovator with G35 model engine

Started by fryup23 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 17:41
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.