Cooking Home grown new potatoes and storing corgettes

• 15 Replies

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
Hi

Have tried both boiling and steaming my new potatoes but they take on water too quickly and lose their skins. They are mushed on the outside and hard inside.  >:( Am literally cooking them an hour or so from digging up - do they need to rest for a day or too first ideally? Or any other ideas of how to cook them correctly?

Also I know home grown corgettes only last a day or two but what's the best way to store them before cooking?

Thanks in advance
G

daisy1990

Re: Cooking Home grown new potatoes and storing corgettes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 21:47 »
Different potatoes will cook differently- do you know the variety? If you have tried fast boiling them for a short time and they are still mushy, I would leave them in the ground, dig them later and use like old potatoes and try a different variety next year.

Courgettes can be stored in a fridge or cool dark place.  If you have a glut you can slice, fry and freeze, part roast and freeze, make soup and freeze or make ratatouille and freeze (or give them to friends!) or leave them to get bigger and stuff with mince/ cheese
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 22:18 »
You forgot 'make chocolate courgette cake and freeze'.  I still have one portion from last year left (though now I've remembered it's there, I don't think it will be there much longer  ;) )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:17 »
Hi

Have tried both boiling and steaming my new potatoes but they take on water too quickly and lose their skins. They are mushed on the outside and hard inside.  >:( Am literally cooking them an hour or so from digging up - do they need to rest for a day or too first ideally? Or any other ideas of how to cook them correctly?

Also I know home grown corgettes only last a day or two but what's the best way to store them before cooking?

Thanks in advance
G

Gleavo, we get the same result with 'Pentland Javelin' pots, although, once the skins have dropped away, they have a great texture and flavour!

Cougettes can easily be frozen, but they can't keep a decent shape, so are best in soups etc as a filler later in the year!

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:21 »
Fab thanks all will maybe peel the spuds and see how that goes. Will ignore 'can't freeze corgette' advice from other sites and freeze away!

Cheers
G

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:14 »
I personally find Arran Pilot to be one of the nicest tasting new potatoes, and they cook easy enough by boiling.

I don't have a problem with storing courgettes as even though I have 8 plants, we can still eat them as fast as I am picking them.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 17:44 »
 :ohmy:

You manage to keep up with all the produce from 8 plants  :ohmy:

How many battalions are you feeding?  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 18:15 »
:ohmy:

You manage to keep up with all the produce from 8 plants  :ohmy:

How many battalions are you feeding?  :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: more than me that's fer shore  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 00:14 »
Love crogettes got 5 plants and all producing well except one which is my first marrow experiment - bit of indulgence as there's only teo of us and I don't know what we will do with it when I decide to harvest that big boy!

Spuds still doing the same no matter how they are cooked - LOTS of starch. Will try new variety next year - still got the king eddys though!

jimthejimjim

• Leyland Mini Club
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 20:37 »
Maybe you could try roasting them?
Please be patient! Learner gardener - allow plenty of room when passing!

Kiki

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 18:35 »
I was suprised to have this problem with my 1st earlies (lady christl). I got round it by starting them in cold water, bringing them to a simmer for just 6 minutes then turning the heat right down so they finished cooking at a lower temperature. The ones I stored in my frige for 2 weeks cooked ok with fiercer boiling.
Hope that helps.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 18:41 »
When new potatoes, or any for that matter, are newly harvested you need to give them some time out in the fresh air if you want them to form skins. This could be your problem, or perhaps just too harsh cooking...
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 07:15 »
Maybe you could try roasting them?

We tried just that yesterday Jim, they stay fairly pale, but the flavour and texture was marvellous!

Never tried doing that before, but will again! They had a couple of minutes par-boiling before they went into the pan with olive oil.

jimthejimjim

• Leyland Mini Club
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33 »
Glad it worked. Try making chips from new potatoes.... Yum yum

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 12:57 »
I dug some potatoes yesterday. They had grown from strays left in by the previous allotment holder, so I don't know the variety, and they were boiled within an hour. Unfortunately they sort of exploded in the pan, so we had crushed new potatoes without having to crush them.
Any day above ground is a good day.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 28 queries.