A recipe challenge

• 6 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

A recipe challenge
« on: July 11, 2010, 21:43 »
My OH is 50 on Saturday & we are going to a jazz picnic at Upton house to celebrate. There will be 10 of us. I have always made a birthday cake, however this year I have gone gluten free AND 2 of the guests are egg (but not dairy) free vegetarians.
HELP

Does anyone have a gluten & egg freerecipe in metric or imperial (not cups) AND that uses easily obtainable ingredients as i won't have time to get to the health food shop this week.

Thanks to poolfield btw for recipes pm'd :D

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
Re: A recipe challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 22:24 »
Most cakes if you take out the egg and replace with half a cup (Sorry, i know you said know cups)  of veg oil will work too!
This isn't the exact recipe i have used but if i remeber rightly its extremely similar and tastes delicious.

lemon drizzle cake
200g butter , softened
200g golden caster sugar
4 eggs
175g ground almonds 
250g mashed potatoes
zest 3 lemons
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder (Supercook does one)

FOR THE DRIZZLE4 tbsp granulated sugar
juice 1 lemon
1.Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter and line a deep, 20cm round cake tin. Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the egg, beating after each addition. Fold in the almonds, cold mashed potato, lemon zest and baking powder.
2.Tip into the tin, level the top, then bake for 40-45 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack after 10 mins cooling. Mix the granulated sugar and the lemon juice together, then spoon over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Let the cake cool completely before slicing.

Hope it helps

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 22:29 »
Thanks nutty tart recipes sounds lovely, however  - OH hates almonds  ::) he can usually detect them - he's not allergic, just doesn't like the taste.
At least my mum won't be joining us this year - she's diabetic  :ohmy: - families eh??

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 22:33 »
just leave the almonds out, or if he does like nuts just replace them with whatever you have or dont put them in...  up to you

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 17:10 »
Janey, could you do something totally different like one of those chocolate refridgerator cakes, with the melted choc, sultanas/raisins/broken biscuits - gluten free obviously; they're more robust than sponges, and I know that if it's hot it may go very slightly soft, but if it's in a cooler box it'll be fine - just a thought...............! Jude.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 17:57 »
Thanks Jude, I was thinking I'd probably do one cake that is either gluten free or egg free and then probably something like delia's chocolate truffle torte =- as that has amaretti biscuits and I think they have egg in, then I'll probably make an egg free birthday cake which means I'll HAVE to eat the chocolate truffle torte (apologies to the healthy eating club = I'll be back soon!)

madcat

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 18:09 »
Hang about - that's 3 birthday cakes!!  :ohmy:

Does that mean you have to sing (and embarrass him in front of everybody) 3 times???    :D :D  Once in the style of Miles Davis, once with a swing and ..... Duke wellington?   :tongue2:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
i have been given a challenge

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 16, 2007, 14:21
by Selkie
xx
looking for a recipe I used to have

Started by starry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 20:32
by cob nut
xx
Help, need recipe for venison.

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

26 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 11:58
by WG.
xx
Plum Jam Recipe

Started by fayenz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 10:38
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 35 queries.