real ginger beer

• 20 Replies

WG.

real ginger beer
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 13:59 »
So, back on topic phil/anne, did you get the answer you wanted or are you looking for a full strength knock-your-socks-off beer?

phil/anne

real ginger beer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 19:15 »
Quote from: "WG."
So, back on topic phil/anne, did you get the answer you wanted or are you looking for a full strength knock-your-socks-off beer?
yes thanks wg i did only want the soft drink type cant have the kids drunk can we got to wait till the boys 10 at least lol

Wombat

real ginger beer
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 21:11 »
There is a pub on Rochdale Road, close to Manchester city centre, called the Marble Arch that brews its own ginger beer, called Ginger Marble.  It's a bit like a bitter, but with a very strong smell and taste of ginger.  They won't sell you a pint unless you have tried it first, as it is a bit of an acquired taste!  Once you're used to the taste, it quickly becomes a favourite tipple.

lefrog

• Experienced Member
real ginger beer
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 12:41 »
I had few try at doing ginger beer in the last few months, the result was a bit rough around the edges on the first batch, but I got some pretty damm good and potent result after few try. It s not really a ginger beer done the traditionnal way with " the bug" more a bastardised version of a beer done with ginger.
the recipe goes like this:
- 2 kg of ginger peeled and chopped until mush
- 200gr of ground ginger
- 4 L of boiling water
- 2 cinammon stick
( add all the above to the boiling water and bring back to the boil, simmer for 15 min , and cool down until lukewarm)

I found a 40L plastic container food grade I use for the brew.
- 10gr of yeast ( I started with instant yeast, then moved onto wine yeast later)
- 6kg of sugar
- 30L of cold water
pour the ginger mix in the sugar , yeast and water container. cover and leave near a radiator ( or airing cupboard for a week to 10 days)

By that time the liguid should have seetled having all the sediments at the bottom.
At that stage I am using 5L plastic container ( small drum used to keep olives) .
- 2 lemon zested
- 2 pinch of flaked chilli
- 200gr of freshly gratted ginger
- 1 kg of sugar
- 2L of water
( bring that to the boil and cool down) "flavoring liquor"

pour the brewed ginger beer in the plastic container making sure not to disturb the sediment ( a small hose works well)  don t fill the container to the  top as you ll have to add the flavoring liquor .
Close the container, leave to rest for a week to 10 days in the fridge/shed ( as long as it s dark and cold it should do the job).

I am still trying to perfect that recipe but so far the result is pretty good and roughly 5/7 % alcohol.
I noticed in my latest try the ginger beer tend to dissapear faster than I can make a new batch, would that be a sign of better quality or are we getting used to the rough homebrew?
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"
Henry Ford

booboo

real ginger beer
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 00:21 »
Here's a recipe for a ginger beer (or at least a ginger-flavoured drink) that takes 24 hours to prepare: http://www.vurt.co.uk/2005/06/15/GingerBeer/

Don't think I've ever tried 'real' ginger beer, but I really like making this and once it's been really chilled it makes a very refreshing drink in summer.

A word of warning though: every time I open it the bottle looks like it's not going to start fizzing, but that's just because it's waiting until you turn your back to get a glass before it explodes out the top of the bottle so it can do the most damage. Take your time opening it and you won't have to mop it up from the worktop.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
real ginger beer
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 14:15 »
Don't know if anyone would be interested but IKEA are selling bottles that have a ceramic stopper and wire clasp (like the old Grolsh (?) bottles - I think they're about £1.50 each.

I bought a coupld to try ginger beer making with my children (we like pretending we're the FF!)

xx
Ginger beer

Started by littlewitch on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 07:51
by willowman
xx
ginger beer

Started by flowergirl on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 23:39
by Annie
xx
Ginger Beer

Started by pulse on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 09:33
by zazen999
xx
Ginger beer

Started by bearhugger1972 on Homebrew

76 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 08:51
by Daamoot

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 40 queries.